Composting...

Pics
Only thing to keep in mind is, if you have dogs that like to eat chicken poop (like mine), it could attract them TO the compost pile!
Well, yes, there's that ... But I'm hoping to keep it all enclosed behind a pallet fence, so hopefully that won't be a problem. A pallet fence lined with hw cloth. This is a long-term project I hope to have done by spring. Notice I am not putting a year on it, lol. :lau

Only thing to keep in mind is, if you have dogs that like to eat chicken poop (like mine), it could attract them TO the compost pile!
I have a low-ish front on my compost piles. Tall enough that my dog can't see what's there (of course she can smell it!) and won't try to jump over, but low enough that I can (carefully) step over it.

My dog will eat any poop that isn't hers. :sick

The front is in front of the "gathering" bin (far right) and the middle bin. I have one I can put in front of the left side bin if it has "interesting" stuff.

Right now the middle bin has a heap of ready to use stuff. It'll be part of my potting soil come April. I'll turn it into the left bin, which is empty now as soon as it's thawed enough to do so.

I have a low-ish front on my compost piles. Tall enough that my dog can't see what's there (of course she can smell it!) and won't try to jump over, but low enough that I can (carefully) step over it.

My dog will eat any poop that isn't hers. :sick

The front is in front of the "gathering" bin (far right) and the middle bin. I have one I can put in front of the left side bin if it has "interesting" stuff.

Right now the middle bin has a heap of ready to use stuff. It'll be part of my potting soil come April. I'll turn it into the left bin, which is empty now as soon as it's thawed enough to do so.
I like the low front idea. I might add that to my bins this year. I think a 12-18" front would work great to help keep the piles in the bin. When they get tall, spilling it the front is a coming issue here...

I like the low front idea. I might add that to my bins this year. I think a 12-18" front would work great to help keep the piles in the bin. When they get tall, spilling it the front is a coming issue here...
A low tech solution if they’re cheap in your area may be hay bales. They can serve as a front for the composter, then when not needed any more, can become a compost ingredient.

A low tech solution if they’re cheap in your area may be hay bales. They can serve as a front for the composter, then when not needed any more, can become a compost ingredient.
Bales are not exactly easy to step over nor shovel or use a pitch fork over. In thinking 1x or 2x lumber. Thin enough to let me get close to do what I need and to step over when I need to while being sturdy enough to hold back the pile as will.

Bales are not exactly easy to step over nor shovel or use a pitch fork over. In thinking 1x or 2x lumber. Thin enough to let me get close to do what I need and to step over when I need to while being sturdy enough to hold back the pile as will.
That's what I thought too. And my dogs would just jump on them, I don't think they would serve as a very good barrier. If money were no object or I could get rotting ones for free, I might stack them two high on three sides and use a pallet as a gate for the front. 🤔 Hmmm. My big challenge right now is I don't have a truck.

Back
Top Bottom