COMPOSTING

How do you know when your compost bin is "finished?" I just bought "composting for dummies" so probably answers my question ha! 

Hi again mom. Great question - when mine is done, it is dark, made up of small particles, it smells (when you hold it up to your nose) like compost - sweet and earthy, and it has stopped heating up and degrading.

When its done, i put a big screen over my garden trailer and shovel the compost onto it - sifting the compost to remove rocks, sticks or any other large unfinished material. I end up with a trailer load of fine, sweet smelling compost ready for the garden.

Hello! My first post and expecting 6 chicks in 2 weeks!
I would like a simple list of what is green and brown composting material. The ratio of each. Maybe there is a good link or website resource?
Thanks so much,
Newbee

Can you put your bagless vacuum stuff in it? Mostly in mine is dog and cat hair. I read somewhere that hair is ok from our animals in a compost? Thoughts? Also do I put paper products like paper towels, napkins, paper plates and can dryer lent go in there?

Hi again mom. Great question - when mine is done, it is dark, made up of small particles, it smells (when you hold it up to your nose) like compost - sweet and earthy, and it has stopped heating up and degrading.

When its done, i put a big screen over my garden trailer and shovel the compost onto it - sifting the compost to remove rocks, sticks or any other large unfinished material. I end up with a trailer load of fine, sweet smelling compost ready for the garden.
How long does it typically take to get to the final good product that I can use in my garden? :)

How long does it typically take to get to the final good product that I can use in my garden? :)

I think that depends on a few variables: what your 'brown / green' ratios are; volume of compost; local temps; aeration, etc... But generally I turn over a load of compost in about 4 to 5 months.

Speaking of which, I've got a bin full of what I am hoping is finished down there right now! Just in time for prepping the garfen beds.

Hey Axis,
I am knee deep in oak leaves every year. Is using oak leaves as a major carbon material adding too much acid?

Thanks,
jonalisa

I can't claim to have done any pH or TA testing on the resultant compost, but easily 80% of my 'brown' material is oak leaf; I am surrounded by an oak forest, most of it the ubiquitous deciduous oak of the sierra foothills. Perchance it is more acidic than some materials, but my experience is that my garden soil acidity remains perfect and well buffered, despite using oak leaf compost for many years. My advice - use what ya got.

Just spent today turning one load and adding oak leaf, chicken run deep litter and grass clippings to the new load. Gotta admit, I get a kick out of every load of compost. Weird, eh?

Back
Top Bottom