COMPOSTING

Here are some poor pics (iPhone) of the compost bins. The bins are apx 5 x 5 x 5, with hinged gates on the downhill side that allow me to get in even with the 4' wide tractor bucket. What I was trying to show is how the bins are situated next to the chicken run, with chicken access ramps and all.
These were taken late yesterday ...

And last, if you can actually see anything, this shows the bin on the right with compost that is finishing, and the one on the left that is still being accumulated.

What kind of wood is good to use to make these bins? So you made it to where the chickens can just go in them when they are free ranging? (Which is a good idea)

Also how do you know if you have too much nitro/too little or too much carbon/too little? I just ordered a book "composting for dummies" ha!

I don't think I'm getting my compost hot enough...Not enough nitro right? I just added a bunch of chicken litter from the coop and a fresh batch of leaves/grass. I also put a black trash bag over the top, hoping to help it heat up a bit more. Is there anything else I should do to add some heat?

I don't think I'm getting my compost hot enough...Not enough nitro right? I just added a bunch of chicken litter from the coop and a fresh batch of leaves/grass. I also put a black trash bag over the top, hoping to help it heat up a bit more. Is there anything else I should do to add some heat?
Make sure it is moist, but not wet.
I have a hard time getting my compost working because I cannot keep it moist enough.

A friend of mine made a lid for his thats just frame out in 1 x 1 boards and he bought clear plastic to staple to it. Its light and easy to take on and off and he says it works good to help it cook a little faster and get a little hotter. He says he sprays his with the hose a bit and covers it.

A friend of mine made a lid for his thats just frame out in 1 x 1 boards and he bought clear plastic to staple to it. Its light and easy to take on and off and he says it works good to help it cook a little faster and get a little hotter. He says he sprays his with the hose a bit and covers it.
That sounds like a good idea...maybe I need something a bit more structured. Mine is just in the corner where 2 privacy fences meet...it'd be hard to put a lid on it the way it is, but I could easily build a box for my compost. It would just be harder to turn since right now my DH tills it up every so often with the tiller.

What kind of wood is good to use to make these bins? So you made it to where the chickens can just go in them when they are free ranging? (Which is a good idea) 

Also how do you know if you have too much nitro/too little or too much carbon/too little? I just ordered a book "composting for dummies" ha! 

Hi mom,

I used some recycled fir boards - chose not to treat them. Cedar would be better, redwood better stoll. But free is the best of all! Yes, chickens have constant free access to the compost.

Rule of thumb is 4:1 carbon material to nitrogen material. Better rule is to watch, smell, turn and moisten. If it stinks, add more carbon material. If it isnt composting, moisten it and add nitrogen material.

Hi mom,

I used some recycled fir boards - chose not to treat them. Cedar would be better, redwood better stoll. But free is the best of all! Yes, chickens have constant free access to the compost.

Rule of thumb is 4:1 carbon material to nitrogen material. Better rule is to watch, smell, turn and moisten. If it stinks, add more carbon material. If it isnt composting, moisten it and add nitrogen material
Good rule of thumb so what about pallets as I can get those for free? Do they rot? I love that they haev free range to the compost. Anything that they shouldn't eat?

I dont understand what hot compost and cold compost is but I have seen it mentioned? I live in the pacific northwest if that matters.

Thanks for the response.

Good rule of thumb so what about pallets as I can get those for free? Do they rot? I love that they haev free range to the compost. Anything that they shouldn't eat? 

I dont understand what hot compost and cold compost is but I have seen it mentioned? I live in the pacific northwest if that matters. 

Thanks for the response. 

Hey mom,

Pallets make excellent compost bins - esp if they're free! Yea, they might rot, so you rebuild. Better than paying for expensive lumber. I have friends in Seattle area who compost - sounds like a great clmate.

Hot means literally hot. As material breaks down, the microbial activity generates heat. Thats a good thing. Too hot, and things might get stinky. Too cold and it takes too long to finish. Dont worry aboit it over much. Balance the 'greens and browns' (nitrogenous and carbon materials), keep it lightly moistened, and aerated (turned) and nature will take care of it.

I let my chickens at it with no restrictions. That serves three purposes; they get lots of food and goodness from the bin; they shred material by scratching which accelerates things; and they poop which adds nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom