Concern about 3 eggs in one day - two were soft shelled

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
One of my red sex link pullets has been laying for about three weeks now. Yesterday she laid her normal egg in the morning and then as she jumped up to roost last night I saw a plop and thought
sickbyc.gif
that is a big pile of poop! I also heard something fall. When I shined my flashlight on it - realized it was a yolk. On the floor of the coop was a third egg from her. This one was softshell and attached to the broken softshell of the afore mentioned yolk. It was like they were chain- stitched together or something. She laid a double yolker the day before.

Is this a hen that is setting herself up for future laying problems? Or is she just working the kinks out of her new system? Her "hatchmate" has laid 4 double yolkers so far also ( so big they don't fit in an egg carton)

I love the jumbo eggs but worry about their health.

In my humble opinion, it sounds to me like she's just working out the kinks. If she were older, I'd be more concerned.

From my experience, the double yolkers don't last long either--once they get things worked out, the double yolkers stopped.

good luck and enjoy your eggs!

I agree- mine were odd at first, and now have settled beautifully. As long as they are getting adequate layer feed and their oyster shell (whether included or separate) and grit, they should settle...and you'll get beautiful brown eggs...

We are adding light today - I have other egg layers and never had this many eggs in one day from a single chicken let alone soft shell eggs.

My other egg layers quit laying and are demanding a light before starting again.

Back
Top Bottom