1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Concern about chick behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pamduff, Nov 7, 2011.

1. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    I have 10 chicks about 5 weeks old and all of a sudden one of them is going around pulling out the feathers of the others and eating them....what should I do...is this normal...I can tell it hurts the others and why would she be eating feathers?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Normally, feather eating is a sign that they aren't getting enough protien. So it's either that, or that chick's a little monster lol.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How much space do they have? If they are indoors, have you turned the heat off? Too little space and possibly overheating could also cause this. You might find if you move them outdoors on grass that it stops.

4. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:LOL yeah maybe...they are getting 18% starter and it only started today as far as I know. They were outside in a temp pen so they could enjoy being outdoors. Today I took them out again and after a few minutes she started. I removed her several times and she was ok at first when I put her back in. I am new to all this and quite frankly am feeling very out of my comfort zone LOL. Thanks for the help!

5. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:They have quite a bit of space...they have two different roosts they use and we are keeping a close eye on the temp. They are now getting time outside in a pen that is even bigger than their brooder...so I don't think space is the problem. Since she is eating the feathers I am inclined to think it may be a protein issue but they are getting 18% starter. She has always seemed older to me even though we got them all at the same time at the same place...I assumed from at least a close hatch date. Not really sure how that works. But her feathers came in first and to me it seemed quite a bit sooner than the others. I appreciate your help and advice.

6. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    All is quiet since I moved them back inside. Is it possible she is just trying to assert herself as the "head hen" LOL? We have 3 grown hens that free range around their temp pen. Not sure if that may be causing her temper tantrum.

7. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Is it a leghorn (just wondering?)

8. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:They are supposed to be barred rocks...although the coloring on about half of them looks more like RIRs

9. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Well she has started it again...have her separated "time out" lol. Not sure what to do...it was 75 in the room so lowering the temp as an experiment to see what happens...I hate this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by