Vorwerk cockerel behaviour and pics

Kirklasu

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
My first photo is of our Rooster who is a healthy 3 year old Vorwerk with bad behaviour so he’s in the run at the moment. The other three pics are of Bill our young 1 year+ Vorwerk Cockerel who up until two weeks ago looked more handsome than his dad with redder and bigger comb and wattles. Now he stands like this with his tail on the floor and doesn’t crow but makes actions like he’s trying to be sick but maybe he’s trying to crow.
I’m told he’s lost his mojo because of the Rooster but has anyone else seen this behaviour? He has a really lovely personality but has become more timid. He stands next to me but won’t let me pick him up. I’d love to be able to check his crop incase anything is stuck which is making him poorly…. just incase he is ill rather than low testosterone, with him doing the repeated jerky head movements . Has anyone any experience or advice of this kind of thing? I haven’t put this on the disease or illness thread as I don’t know what it is. He can be tempted to eat but not pooping much and maybe a bit yellow diarrhoea (but could be a very wet yellow cloacal poop that I saw first thing this morning)

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    916.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8460.jpeg
    IMG_8460.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8458.jpeg
    IMG_8458.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8457.jpeg
    IMG_8457.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
He looks very swollen in his front area. Did this aooear after fighting with the other rooster?

Looks almost as if his frontal air sack is injured, poor guy!

Check his crop in the morning right before he had anything to eat or drink. It should be flat and empty.

Thread 'Ruptured Air Sac - Subcutaneous Emphysema' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ruptured-air-sac-subcutaneous-emphysema.1432594/
What a great link. Thank you very much. I will endeavour to follow your advice though I may just have to take him to the avian vet as we have never handled him though we was hatched here with his sister and had a great mum.
We will have to risk scaring him I suppose and hold him to check his crop. I’ve been trying to get him to trust me and he comes very close himself but immediately moves off if I reach within a foot of him.
Thank you so much for this. I had never heard of it so knew nothing about it.
It could have happened when we had to get him out of a tree one night or the Rooster could have done it…. we didn’t see the Rooster but just suspected him.

What a great link. Thank you very much. I will endeavour to follow your advice though I may just have to take him to the avian vet as we have never handled him though we was hatched here with his sister and had a great mum.
We will have to risk scaring him I suppose and hold him to check his crop. I’ve been trying to get him to trust me and he comes very close himself but immediately moves off if I reach within a foot of him.
Thank you so much for this. I had never heard of it so knew nothing about it.
It could have happened when we had to get him out of a tree one night or the Rooster could have done it…. we didn’t see the Rooster but just suspected him.
Any time you want to inspect or handle him, it is best to just grab him from the roost at dark and bundle him up, not too tightly, in a towel.

Avian vet visit sounds great!

Last edited:
Any time you want to inspect or handle him, ir is best to just grab him from the roost at dark and bundle him up, not too tightly, in a towel.

Avian vet visit sounds great!
Thank you again… yes I will just go for it and bundle him up. I’ve learned a lot about a chickens respiratory system today and it’s incredible how different it is to ours. It’s so necessary to know it. Really appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom