Pullet standing on top of injured young rooster

LuciferRoo

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
South Texas
I have an injured 8 month old rooster who was wounded by a dog attack. Because my backyard has a lot of young roosters, I separated him and put him in an 8'x12' fenced in are with two very mellow ladies. He has his own big dog crate for sleeping). His health has declined since the attack and now he cannot stand, which I suspect is due to an infected wound. I did not see an infection but for at least 3 days he was able to stand and walk around, although slowly and looked like he was in shock.
One of the girls, a young hen or maybe old pullet (about ready to start laying), has been spending a lot of time by his crate. When the door is closed, she would stand or lay by the door.
However, a couple days ago, I found her standing on top of him as he lay on the grass in the enclosure. I did not see her doing anything else, just standing.
What is that behaviour?

(By the way I started him on antibiotics yesterday so I am hoping it will take care of his infection).

My chickens will stand on anything, so I wouldn't read too much into it. She clearly enjoys being near him. I'm sorry he's having such a rough time ☹️ Hopefully the antibiotics will perk him up.

My chickens will stand on anything, so I wouldn't read too much into it. She clearly enjoys being near him. I'm sorry he's having such a rough time ☹️ Hopefully the antibiotics will perk him up.
Thank you. I think the antibiotics are helping.
He was getting worse and looked very weak, barely keeping his eyes open.
Yesterday morning he got first dose. In the evening, his eyes looked clear and alert, but still only laying down.
Second dose was yesterday evening.
Third dose was this morning and he continued to look alert, actually looking around at what is going on.
In the afternoon he stood up and took a couple of steps. He did this a few times.
Best sign was that he was preening himself.
He took most of his 4th dosage this evening. One of the hens got past my guard and stole a bite of the coconut oil containing his antibiotics.
Once it started to get dusky, he stood up and walked to the entrance of his dog crate.
The medicine thief was inside so he stopped and did not go in. She ran outside when she saw him. I then gently put him inside.
I am seeing he is making progress so I am very hopeful.
It will be interesting to see his behavior towards me after he recovers.

Wednesday's report - day 4 of antibiotics treatment.
The young rooster continues to improve. I found him standing inside his crate this morning. When I put his medicated coconut oil into his food dish, he came and ate it.
I opened the door, while attending to the rest of the chickens and when I looked he was outside. I checked on him multiple times throughout the day and while he did spend a lot of time laying on the ground, he did move about inside the enclosure and at least some of the time he was likely dust bathing.
He is still limping and definitely in need of more care but I am very confident that he will be fine.

Week 2 Monday report.
I gave him his last dosage of antibiotics on Saturday. 7 days at 250mg, twice per day.
He has improved greatly. He is still no completely well, but looks to be continuing to heal. That dog did a good amount of damage to him.
This evening, when I went to check on the chickens and lock them up for the night, I did not see him inside the dog crate.
Instead, I found him in the small coop I just put into the enclosure the night before.
Both of the hens were inside on the roosting bar and he was inside as well but on the floor.

Maybe I need to add some vitamins to his diet. Right now he is getting Grower crumble and eats whatever grass he finds.

Back
Top Bottom