Concern for hen

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-for-rir-hen-and-concerned-owner.1434864/

Not sure how else to contact you for advice. New to this and am having lots of difficulties.
I had a chicken that survived a massacre from either a fox attack or a dog attack and she laid in a dark corner for 3 days without moving, her head hanging down. I was afraid to disturb her. I thought she was merely in shock, but I had missed the real injury and only saw the superficial wounds but after 3 days she started moving around, I lifted a wing and she had a serious bite to her rib cage.
You should give Henrietta a dark place to be alone...give electrolytes or sugar water too.
The fact that she was bawling and in a panic flying into the car, means that she was grabbed by the dog or hurt herself in the escape, and probably is hurt internally or has injured her leg/hip, etc.
Chickens are amazing healers, just give her a hospital bed and care for her as you have been. :hugs

I had a chicken that survived a massacre from either a fox attack or a dog attack and she laid in a dark corner for 3 days without moving, her head hanging down. I was afraid to disturb her. I thought she was merely in shock, but I had missed the real injury and only saw the superficial wounds but after 3 days she started moving around, I lifted a wing and she had a serious bite to her rib cage.
You should give Henrietta a dark place to be alone...give electrolytes or sugar water too.
The fact that she was bawling and in a panic flying into the car, means that she was grabbed by the dog or hurt herself in the escape, and probably is hurt internally or has injured her leg/hip, etc.
Chickens are amazing healers, just give her a hospital bed and care for her as you have been. :hugs
Thank you so much. My heart is broken for her. She is eating and drinking the electrolyte water I have placed for her, just not walking or standing. Amazing how such a small pomeranian can do this type of damage. It's been since December 10th since she has walked, so sad but not giving up on her.

Thank you so much. My heart is broken for her. She is eating and drinking the electrolyte water I have placed for her, just not walking or standing. Amazing how such a small pomeranian can do this type of damage. It's been since December 10th since she has walked, so sad but not giving up on her.
Chickens are very fragile and a dog's jaws are powerful. Even tiny dogs.

Also I had a chicken who fell on her leg in a hay feeder and her leg was essentially dead and it took 3 months for her to walk, so don't give up.

Chickens are very fragile and a dog's jaws are powerful. Even tiny dogs.

Also I had a chicken who fell on her leg in a hay feeder and her leg was essentially dead and it took 3 months for her to walk, so don't give up.
Thank you. I certainly won't give up on her. Just miss seeing her scratch and walk around the yard with her sisters, she does shake her butt feathers and fluffs herself out. Has to be a good sign 😥😊 hopefully there is no irreversible damage. I isolated her 2 days later because I did not realize she had an injury, acted fine afterwards until I came home from work on Friday night and saw that she could not walk. She had been in the coop with the rooster and two hens:( I'm hopeful still.

Back
Top Bottom