Concerned about a cold night coming up and other concerns.

ctrl-alt-doll

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Hi

-----
TLDR: I have new birds, younger than I've had before, not sure how to keep them warm, what to feed them or how to integrate them with the others. Fudging along and need advice with what to do.
-----

I just got 1 Belgian d'uccle (10 weeks old) and 2 Japanese Bantams (8 and 10 weeks old)

I'm in Australia so we are in our cold season. The nights have been about 14-15 degrees Celsius (57-59F) but the temps will drop to 9 (48F) in the next couple of nights which is as low as it gets in the very early am before the sun rises and it warms a bit.

I'm a little concerned about them. I've never had birds this young before. I always bought pullets at point of lay and I don't know what to do.

I have 2 year old silkie and pekin just coming out of the molt and neither is broody. I have the chicks (are they still chicks?) in a separate, smaller coop which I use for isolating the hens when they need it. They are secure in the raised section with the nesting boxes in fresh, clean wood shavings. I found them all huddled in one of the nesting boxes this morning. I'm not letting them in the grass section yet. They have just come from the breeder and were still in cages but no longer under lights.

What should I do? Do you think they need more warmth? Should I give them some alpaca fleece I have left over from the last shearing? A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel I imagine is too warm? I'm such a new mama to these babies LOL

The next question, I got some chick starter feed that I'm mixing with the layers mix. Is that sufficient? They eat a lot!! They cleaned out their feed bowl by lunch time today. They seem to know the seeds and flick out the ones that are too big. Is what I'm feeding them ok? I can't really afford to get a pullet bag of feed but will if I have to.

The third question I have is to do with integration. How do I introduce these young birds to the two older ones? The silkie can get a bit vicious with the younger hens. The pekin, I've seen get on the back of the d'uccle I just lost (a dog got in our yard and killed it) and peck her.

I would appreciate and be very grateful for any advice.

Try to relax. Ten-week olds are well decked out in down jackets and shouldn't feel the cold, though what you describe isn't really all that cold. Picture yourself at those temps wearing a nice warm jacket of down feathers. You'd be quite comfortable. So will your chicks. No additional heat is necessary as long as there aren't any cold drafts.

They should be ok with the temperature. I have 5 week olds in 40 degree weather and they are perfectly fine!

I think that instead of mixing the two feeds, you should just feed chick starter, if you can. The layer feed has too much calcium for the babies to handle, and can cause problems later on.

Integrating can be stressful for you and your birds, but you can do it ;) When the little chicks get a bit bigger (13-16 wks) put the little chicks into the coop with the big ones when it is completely dark and let them roost together. Or, if you let the hens free range, you can let the chicks out during the day and after a while of this, they will get used to each other and you can put them into the coop together. That is what I do. Just keep in mind that at first, it might get a little rough as they are re-establishing the pecking order. Just make sure blood isn't being drawn. If you can, put a wire cage or some other simmilar thing next to the big hens to let them see each other, but not touch. You can start this now if you have the supplies.

Good luck! And if you have any more questions, ask away! Any pictures are also very welcome ;)

If you can, put a wire cage or some other simmilar thing next to the big hens to let them see each other, but not touch. You can start this now if you have the supplies.

We placed the little coop next to the big one and once I let the little ones into the run, they will be caged and close to the others.

Thank you for your advice. I'm looking forward to see these grow. I'll also give them the chick starter feed only for now.

I'll start taking photos. They are little cuties.

I wanted Wyandottes but there aren't many chickens available this time of year.

That's perfect! Letting them see each other makes a world of difference when the time comes to let them be together. Chicks are really hard to find right now, but luckily (or unlucky) all my neighbors have some great Breeds that I really want ;):yesss: You are very welcome and I am looking forward to those pictures!! :celebrate

Update... we finally let the new little girls mix with the older hens outside of their little coop. I wanted to do it sooner but my husband didn't want to. In the end, I put my foot down since I didn't like them to be caged any more because they are growing and getting bigger.

No problems at all with the integration. The older chickens were hanging around the little coop which we had placed next to the big coop and were familiar with the young ones and once we left the door open, the hens inspected the area, bok boked a couple of times to ascertain seniority and are now mothering the young ones.

At least that's what it appears they are doing. They round them up and keep them together and not far from the coop. The hens are no longer going for long walks and are staying close to home.

Three weeks ago
IMG_2809.JPG

The other day
IMG_3298.JPG

Back
Top Bottom