Concerned about my bunnies in this coming summer

Butterscotchbitesfinger

Enabler
5 Years
Nov 2, 2018
NSW Australia
Hi. First of all I’m in Australia. I have 2 Mini lop bunnies, they are outdoor bunnies. It can get up to mid 40’s (C) during the day where I am. So I am quite concerned about them. They have plenty of shade and plenty of holes in the ground which they have dug. I’m also concerned about snakes in their hutch as there are a lot of mice. Maybe I should lay down somebody small wire. But how do I get rid of the mice without baiting as I have a puppy and 10 chickens who would snatch it up in a heartbeat. Please help as I would like to prep for summer now.

I put an outdoor, waterproof fan on my rabbits all summer. I live in FL in the US and it gets hot here, too. I also freeze ice blocks in old sour cream containers or things like that and put them out there, though if yours don't have a raised hutch system like mine it might get messy. I know people will freeze water bottles or soda bottles and put them out there, too. That might be less messy for something on the ground. Every once and a while I'll throw some ice cubes in their water bowl and bottle but it probably goes warm before they even drink it so I haven't done that too often this summer.

The last thing I can think of is to keep them well groomed, to keep any excess hair out of their coats that might make them hotter.

As for the mice, I'd suggest traps and maybe putting wiring or something else to cover them so your other animals can't get in but the mice/rats can. We set up just simple plastic snap traps that work well and bait them with peanut butter usually and cover them with wire or we actually have an old laundry hamper we use lol. I don't know if mice are different on baiting tactics though.

I put an outdoor, waterproof fan on my rabbits all summer. I live in FL in the US and it gets hot here, too. I also freeze ice blocks in old sour cream containers or things like that and put them out there, though if yours don't have a raised hutch system like mine it might get messy. I know people will freeze water bottles or soda bottles and put them out there, too. That might be less messy for something on the ground. Every once and a while I'll throw some ice cubes in their water bowl and bottle but it probably goes warm before they even drink it so I haven't done that too often this summer.

The last thing I can think of is to keep them well groomed, to keep any excess hair out of their coats that might make them hotter.

As for the mice, I'd suggest traps and maybe putting wiring or something else to cover them so your other animals can't get in but the mice/rats can. We set up just simple plastic snap traps that work well and bait them with peanut butter usually and cover them with wire or we actually have an old laundry hamper we use lol. I don't know if mice are different on baiting tactics though.
Thankyou for your reply we usually freeze plastic water bottles and put them in there hutches and they lay on them.

Back
Top Bottom