Concerned about my girl...

Tyrie

Hatching
Sep 13, 2016
Blue Springs
My free range chicken wondered off today and hasn't come back with the rest.. Are they resilient? I looked all over the wood...She is 7 months old, have have 7 ladies and now a Good for nothing Rooster whom couldn't keep track of her. He is nice and warm, it's supposed to get down to the low 30's tonight... Is there anything I can do?

Last edited by a moderator:
At 7 months of age I doubt that she is setting on a hidden nest although that is a possibility. Two other possibilities are that she has been taken by a predator or that something spooked her and she hasn't found her way home. Hopefully she will be there in the morning wanting to get back with the flock.

At 7 months of age I doubt that she is setting on a hidden nest although that is a possibility.  Two other possibilities are that she has been taken by a predator or that something spooked her and she hasn't found her way home.  Hopefully she will be there in the morning wanting to get back with the flock.

I hope it's the latter... She normally hears my call and comes running... I had shown her at a fair a few days back and she was there 10 days so I hope that hasn't confused her to find her Roost.

Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Do keep us posted on how things turn out.

Good luck
CT

G’Day from down under Tyrie
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree with sourland that she sounds a little young to have a hidden nest.

I have read many posts of lost chickens showing up back home again no worse for wear. I do hope this is the case for your gal and she shows up soon. I remember one story when the hen had got herself caught in a vine on the property and could not get out. I see you have searched all over the wood but may be check some places you would not expect a chicken to be. Other chickens have returned home after getting a scare and going into hiding for a few days. As Ken mentioned, please do keep us up to date.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Last edited:
Sad morning for our family.... After the many times I wondered in the woods to find her I must have past her.. Thus morning I walked again and she was about 50 feet from the coop behind a tree.. A raccoon had gotten her, her beak was gone and her head was tucked in under her wing.. after a complete melt down now, I will be on a coon hunt to protect my others that are left.. It was so cold lastnight too..

Back
Top Bottom