"concerned" neighbors

tongue.png
Welcome to BYC and please, don't feel "slightly misunderstood".
BYC members don't mean any harm and there are many different personalities here.
I am usually straight to the point with no malice intended.

So the neighbor has a problem with your kids and your chickens?
You can fix both of those issues easily.

Practical advice asked for by you:
Keep your flock and your kids off his property.
Once the issues are settled, you will be able to relax and enjoy your kids AND your chickens.
Best wishes!

Hi, I'm not sure there is a solution other than either keeping your chickens in the coop or putting up a fence. Perhaps a cheap chicken wire and garden cane fence would do the job thought? Who did the fence belong to that you took down? Perhaps you could both contribute towards a fence?

Crazy neighbors...

A fence would be the best option, but we might as well scratch that off the list.

Is there anything type of scent that lures chickens away from a certain area? (Some types of soaps lure deer away from plants, etc) There could be some home made recipe or spray that makes them not want to go into a certain area.

Thank you for welcoming me. I understand his side perfectly. I have been feeling slightly misunderstood by everyone responding to my question for advice. I did not need for everyone to tell me to understand his side which I do...I just needed advice on how to make it work other than a fence or having them just cooped up. It was just the back story to make it clear we were as neighbors in unisom ready for chickens and we were the ones who happen to get them and it was fine. I get that people get annoyed and fed up and so on and that was not my issue because then I unfortunately would have to get into more detail. I simply wanted some advice. We also have all kinds of things in our yards and porches, including deer, raccoons, opossums and, yes, a bear...and cats and who knows what else keeps creeping from the woods at times and we have made it work. I will certainly keep my ladies cooped up now to keep them from getting shot at. Thank again for welcoming me. And please, no more telling me to understand the neighbor. :) I do, I just needed practical advice.

I know you said you don't want a fence as it is too expensive, but at a local hardware of feed supply store you can get a roll of various types fencing, including chicken wire and post fairly inexpensively. You could either put a row down the line you don't want the chickens to cross or you could enclose your coop. Depending on the kinds of chickens you have and their size, they may or may not try to fly over it. If they do, you can clip either one or both wings and that will keep them grounded.
If you let your chickens out an hour before their normal roost time, they will usually stay very close but still get some free range time in, but you would need to watch them.
I do think a roll or rolls of wire would solve your problem.

Or you can even try poultry netting. I think Amazon.com has poultry netting fairly cheap and you can get large rolls shipped to you. What you can do with the netting is get several wooden stakes very inexpensive to buy. Then run the poultry netting along the stakes like a fence. I bought a huge roll of netting myself off amazon and i know you can get a giant roll fairly cheap. Im using mine as halk netting. It can be used in many different ways. But you can nail it or attach it with staples to the wood and make a fence that way. Hope this helps good luck

Back
Top Bottom