concerned new duck owner!

gmdelisio

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
I've recently become the default owner of two little ducklings I've grown to love very much (who knew they had such personalities!?) But as a new mommy, whenever anything new or unknown happens I immediately rush to google in a panic haha. I can't seem to find an answer to this question though and would appreciate input:

They seem to be forming little red bumps where their bill meets their face.

Now I'm hoping this is part of them growing because they're still in the process of getting their adult feathers, but because I'm new to this I'm unsure if it could be an allergy our even an injury :(

I really do appreciate all your words of wisdom!

how old are they? do you know the breed? it sounds like they could be muscovies. they have red masks on their face that develop. this is not mine but this is what they look like when they grow up. they have no masks when their born.

Last edited:
when I rescued them they had no idea what breed they were but the feathers they are developing seem to brown with gold and green hues as well as white speckles on their chest...I believe they're around 2 1/2 to 3 months old but I have no way to be absolutely sure. If it helps, when they a were little their bills were black with some white spots and now they're almost entirely white.

If you can post a photo, that would help. What to their feet look like? I know they're webbed, but do they have very solid, sturdy feet? Sounds like you may have Muscovy.

Here's a picture of one their bills. He is very happy and healthy otherwise. No changes in his behavior or energy and no coughing or sneezing.

Last edited:
I hope so! Because I was worried he was having a reaction our some kind of infection. He does have those iridescent green feathers on his wings though that seem to make me think he's a mallard...

thank you all so much! You've truly put my mind at ease! Like I said, I may be new at this but these little guys have really stolen my heart! <3

Back
Top Bottom