Concerned newbie

BB22F9A2-B462-4D07-8E13-259683468FA7.jpeg
The Vet seemed to think it was Marek’s disease.

Best way to prevent Mareks Disease is vaccinate on day one or buy birds already vaccinated when purchasing. If had Mareks in flock when had current hens then current ones are probably carriers and can pass on to any new chickens. Probably wouldn’t get any new chickens and keep in same flock at this time. I’m sure the vet has already given you info. on Mareks but can read about it here in the Learning Center and so many other important pieces of raising chickens. Welcome to BYC! Check out the Learning Center:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/
F34FC6B5-607C-4B4D-B34C-61DE7C770703.gif

Do you know if the vet has much experience with examining birds? Marek's is one of the best-known chicken diseases, and I think it would be unusual if several of your chickens were recently killed by it, given that you haven't added more to your flock recently and that you got them all from the same source.
The Vet I took them to is one of the few that sees chickens. The diagnosis was based on how the birds presented. The birds didn’t die at the same time. We lost two (1 SS and another that we didn’t know the breed) around 3 months old within a week of each other. Then we lost another 1 month later. Then 3 weeks after that we lost both of our Silkies a week apart. My daughter was absolutely heart broken after each loss. The birds went from regular chicken behavior to not getting up, not eating, to not seeming to have any body control. Reminded me of watching a person with ALS slowly deteriorate, except it was faster then that. Very sad to see them in that state.
Didn’t realize that the Lavender Orpington had poor feather quality.....we actually think her feathers look beautiful like snowflakes, but good to know. We did get all 9 from the same place. I let them know that 5 died within the first 5 months, but they said their birds are closely monitored so it must have been something they picked up here at our house. Regardless, loosing 5 already has been tough. We will look to grow our flock in the Spring, but I am concerned that the current 4 have something (Mareks or something else) that will make new younger birds sick. We will cross that bridge in April.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and support. We appreciate it. I never thought I would love having chickens, but I really do. I hope that we can keep Lavender (I know, not the most creative name), Spring (also not too creative, but kinda funny), Petunia, and Aulani all happy and heathy. We really miss Vaderina, Eleven, Luna, Cloud, and Buttercup....yep those are the names you get when kids name chickens!

Those losses must have been really heart breaking but it certainly sounds like Marek's Disease and it is an incredibly common disease. It also sounds like you got them from a private breeder as started pullets rather than from a large hatchery as day old chicks, so it is highly likely they came with the disease. There is a school of thought that most flocks have exposure to Marek's to a greater or lesser extent, but many people just don't recognise it or have a necropsy done to identify it. It can be a very confusing disease with so many different and varied symptoms. Breeders in particular cannot afford to have it diagnosed because it would put them out of business so they probably cull birds as soon as they show any symptoms..... perhaps that is what they referred to as "closely monitored"!
Unfortunately adding to your flock will put both new birds and the existing birds at risk. The stress of integration can trigger an outbreak in any of your existing birds that are carriers and they could then infect the new ones. I'm not a fan of the vaccine for a number of reasons and it is not 100% effective but in your situation you might be best to get vaccinated chicks from a hatchery if you do decide to take that risk. You would probably be best to avoid getting more silkies too as they seem to be particularly prone to Marek's.

Oh and I absolutely agree with Lavender's feathers looking beautiful like snow flakes. I was just a little concerned that someone might suggest that she was getting picked on or have depluming mites, so thought I would mention that it is just a genetic defect common in lavender birds which causes it. Isn't it nice when a defect can be pretty!

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and support. We appreciate it. I never thought I would love having chickens, but I really do. I hope that we can keep Lavender (I know, not the most creative name), Spring (also not too creative, but kinda funny), Petunia, and Aulani all happy and heathy. We really miss Vaderina, Eleven, Luna, Cloud, and Buttercup....yep those are the names you get when kids name chickens!
Aloha E komo mai! I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Heartbreaking. The remaining 4 are stunning. Lavender does look like she has snowflakes and I like their names :) groms did a good job. Is Luna for moon or boss? Being you have an Aulani, I thought I would ask. You look like wonderful chicken parents and I wish you a disease free, best of luck. Glad you are here with us. :jumpy

The Vet I took them to is one of the few that sees chickens. The diagnosis was based on how the birds presented. The birds didn’t die at the same time. We lost two (1 SS and another that we didn’t know the breed) around 3 months old within a week of each other. Then we lost another 1 month later. Then 3 weeks after that we lost both of our Silkies a week apart. My daughter was absolutely heart broken after each loss. The birds went from regular chicken behavior to not getting up, not eating, to not seeming to have any body control. Reminded me of watching a person with ALS slowly deteriorate, except it was faster then that. Very sad to see them in that state.
Didn’t realize that the Lavender Orpington had poor feather quality.....we actually think her feathers look beautiful like snowflakes, but good to know. We did get all 9 from the same place. I let them know that 5 died within the first 5 months, but they said their birds are closely monitored so it must have been something they picked up here at our house. Regardless, loosing 5 already has been tough. We will look to grow our flock in the Spring, but I am concerned that the current 4 have something (Mareks or something else) that will make new younger birds sick. We will cross that bridge in April.

If future death would recommend necropsy but vet probably correct. Your birds could have picked it up from your property as well as where you got them from. Best Prevention vaccination on day one. Hatcheries will do this for small fee. I would never get an unvaccinated bird. I would avoid adding to current flock for awhile till no deaths. Mareks can live in your property for months or years infecting newbies most at risk. Not to say it couldn’t happen to an older hen in senior years or immune suppressed bird. Any new chickens require quarantine for 30 days in separate house/run space to determine heath before adding to flock and should be about same age to avoid flock problems. Here is the article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Oh and I absolutely agree with Lavender's feathers looking beautiful like snow flakes. I was just a little concerned that someone might suggest that she was getting picked on or have depluming mites, so thought I would mention that it is just a genetic defect common in lavender birds which causes it. Isn't it nice when a defect can be pretty!
We aren’t concerned about Lav getting picked on, she is the boss! It is nice that her “defect” makes her more beautiful.....true in so many cases in life.

Back
Top Bottom