Concerned newbie

Ccrielly

Chirping
Dec 8, 2018
We are new to having backyard chickens. We started off with 9 but sadly our flock contracted a virus and 5 chickens have died. Our remaining 4 seem strong and healthy. We have 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Lavender Orpington. None of our chickens are laying eggs or crowing. They are all 6 months plus old. Should we be concerned because none are laying? We got them all as chicks so we aren’t 100% if they are Roos or hens, although we were told they were hens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!

Can you post a few pictures of your birds...we can help you to determine if they are going to lay eggs or not.
Sorry for your loss, do you know what virus they caught?
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops
BYC has an APP

Welcome to BYC!:frow

All of us are happy to have you here, we always have enough room on the BYC roost!

As Texas Kiki said above, we'd need some pictures of your little ones. My experience with EEs is that they generally lay later than the others, around 24-26 weeks. So I'd say that they'll lay any day now.

Enjoy your time on this amazing site! :woot

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost! Pictures would be of great help and sexing would be accurate at such a late age. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, but glad to know the rest of your flock is doing better.
BYC-rainbow-hen 2.png

Well, I've done some extensive research on your very same issue! My newest pullets just turned 30 weeks old and only 1 just started laying this week! I've been told many times... "they start laying when they feel like it." So join the frustration boat with me! My first batch of chicks a couple years ago (basically the same breeds) started laying at 18 weeks, so go figure. Not sure if there's really any rhyme or reason to it.

Best wishes in your new chicken adventure!

Back
Top Bottom