Concerned. Two themometers two temps.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyelk, Feb 28, 2009.

1. crazyelk

crazyelk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Kentucky
    I am on day 17 and the eggs look very full. [​IMG] But I'm because I have two themometors that show thwo different temps. My digital on stays around 100-101. MY mercury themometer says 104. Up until the last day or so the two have bee real close to each other I have put both side beside and still get the same results. My mercury themometer is on that you would use to check the temp of a sick kid. Does this mak a big diffrerence. Should I be concerned about an early hatch, and if I should should go ahead and take them out of the turner.

Thanks, Jason

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

With temps that high on day 17, I would take them out of the turner. A third thermometer would be nice to get another opinion. Don`t understand why you are running your temps so high unless it`s a still air bator, even then they are on the warm side. Sounds like you may have a good hatch, though, if all your eggs are looking full. I would get a third thermometer for the next hatch.

3. crazyelk

crazyelk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Kentucky
    It is a still air incubator. (right now) I will fix this. Should I go ahead and stop turning them also. I turn them by hand for another day. I'm sorry I miscalculated. it is day 16.

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I agree with getting the thrid thermometer.
    In the military the saying goes;
    Question: How many clocks does it take to get an accurate time hack?
    Answer: Three.
    Reasoning: If you only have one you don't know if it is accurate or not.
    If you have two and they disagree, you don't know which is correct.
    If you have three, and two agree then you know what time it is.
    The same concept applies to thermometers.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I would be amazed if you mercury thermometer was off by more thatn .5
    degrees. That is the thermometer I use to check the accuracy of all my digital one. Digital thermometers are notorious for being off and with the battery they can loose strength and give wacky readings. A third thermometer will most likely give you a completely different reading.

I would reduce the temperature in you incubator and since it is only day 16, possibly stop turning on day 17.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by