Concerning Wet Eye Problem

Queenpython

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2022
Hawaii
Hello! Just yesterday, I discovered one of my chicks closing one eye only. The other eye looks healthy but the other eye does not! Sometimes I can see redness in the corner of her eye. She closes her left eye a lot but when she does open it, her eyes are very watery and teary. This is only apparent in one eye and there are no bubbles. Just wet. It's unfortunately not as visible in the picture. When I hold her, she's always sleeping, but when I let her out in the yard she's moving around and foraging. I took a front picture of her and her eye does not look good. My husband believes she got pecked by one of our hens but I just needed to make sure my girl is okay.

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpg
    IMG_8592.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8591.jpg
    IMG_8591.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 6
The eye looks abnormal. In the picture it doesn’t have the sharp outline of pupil and iris, as the other one appears. It could have been pecked and damaged. Hard to know for sure. She also could have an eye infection or signs of MG. Look for foam in the eye at times. I would get some eye wash, such as Bausch and Lomb Advanced Eye Relief eye wash, and flush the eye with a drop or two twice a day. Then if you can find Terramycin eye ointment, put a small dab into the eye twice daily. Has she had any sneezing, gasping, or nasal drainage?

The eye looks abnormal. In the picture it doesn’t have the sharp outline of pupil and iris, as the other one appears. It could have been pecked and damaged. Hard to know for sure. She also could have an eye infection or signs of MG. Look for foam in the eye at times. I would get some eye wash, such as Bausch and Lomb Advanced Eye Relief eye wash, and flush the eye with a drop or two twice a day. Then if you can find Terramycin eye ointment, put a small dab into the eye twice daily. Has she had any sneezing, gasping, or nasal drainage?
No sneezing, gasping nor nasal drainage. However, I do see her opening her mouth. It doesn't look like shes gasping.

No sneezing, gasping nor nasal drainage. However, I do see her opening her mouth. It doesn't look like shes gasping.
Opening her mouth to breathe?

I’d start with the meds listed above. You can use human antibiotic eye drops and dilute them down with saline solution so they’re not too strong.

Back
Top Bottom