concrete + poo = stain?! Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by superchemicalgirl, Jun 6, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I raised my baby chicks in the basement (unfinished, concrete floor). I didn't put a top on the brooder and sure learned my lesson. Eventually the chicks learned to fly really well. While I wasn't there (working, etc) the chicks would fly to the top of the brooder then fly out and "free range" around my basement all day. Also at night they preferred to roost on the top of the boxes instead of on the roosts I put in there. All of that I don't mind, it was the poo that I minded. But I figured it was the price to pay for cute little chicks who would become pets and makers of fine breakfasts.

Until the chicks went outside and I went into picky-retentive cleaning mode in my basement.

I used Dawn and Soft Scrub in a warm water basin and used a steel wool pad to scrub the caked poo off the concrete after soaking.

All the poo came off, with lots of scrubbing, but it left behind what looks like little poo shadows/stains wherever there was a (significant) poo.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the stains?

Thanks.

2. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oxy-Clean

3. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chlorine bleach.

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    vinegar???[​IMG]

5. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    try those three and if none of them work, idk

6. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

Trisodium Phosphate (I think I spelled that right) aka TSP. We use it to clean sidewalks.
    We get it at Ace Hardware, but I'm sure you can get it as Home Depot or Lowe's

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    sprinkle with baking soda, follow with white vinegar; scrub

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by