Condensation: extra vent?

I try to shoot for at least 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken. Not sure who told me that or where I read it at. My pop door is open year around, I have 4 windows that stay op year around, the eaves are open year around, and my gable is vented and open. After three years I have never had a problem with moisture or the cold.

Uncoated plywood doesn't breathe either, but it might absorb some moisture.
Always good to measure humidity inside and outside of coop, they should be about the same. If more humid inside, ~10%, you need more ventilation.
Hard to assess draft in that coop as you can't get inside and no windows to observe wind ribbons.

If you mean OSB plywood panels you are correct but regular plywood does.

I pulled this from web. Off this site https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2190/which-is-better-osb-or-plywood-sheathing/

Plywood will absorb moisture quicker than OSB, but consequently it will also dry quicker. Both products will swell when wet, but plywood will return to almost its exact shape when it dries. OSB is less forgiving of being left out in the rain and will show more deformities after a wetting and drying cycle.

Beyond concerns about exposure to moisture during construction, is the moisture that can infiltrate through wall assemblies after completion. How durable a wall is depends heavily on its ability to dry, and how well it can dry depends on the materials you chose for your wall assembly, your 'recipe' if you will. ”

Edited to add this bit about permeability.
“The vapour-permeable elephant in the room...
The most commonly held opinion among building industry experts that we have read and spoken with, is that OSB has a perm rating of 2 and plywood has a perm rating of 10.”

So a vapor retarder yes.

This has been my experience as a home builder also.
Often time venting of a home is done along the lower edge of roof under the overhang of the roof and with the same amount both sides with a vent along the ridge.
This gives the best air flow across the under side of roof.
Good for moisture and excessive heat build up cause by sun baking the roof. Which may not matter to the chickens but does make the roof last longer.

Last edited:
@Hans77 you have received some good advice already. Next step is make those vents bigger on each side if you are not happy with your results. I think you'll end up having to do so personally.
I will come out and say it. I don't like the all black theme. For a few reasons. Complete darkness is not good for anything or anyone. Also when the sun hits that plywood it's just sitting there getting cooked creating a hot surface which in turn will transfer that heat to the inside. That may also be part of your problem when heat, moisture and cold all meet you have the makings for condensation. If the temp is not close to the same inside and out you'll likely have condensation issues. You would be well served by purchasing something to monitor the temp and humidity levels inside and out especially seeing how your having issue.
I am not trying to come off as rude just giving you some food for thought.
Good luck.

With the 2 vents condensation has seriously decreased. Happy with the result.
That’s great! If you feel more is needed you may want them just below the lower edge of roof , this will help with the pull and draw effect. Plus this would take care of wind direction which sometimes does not work as well with gable end vents.

That’s great! If you feel more is needed you may want them just below the lower edge of roof , this will help with the pull and draw effect. Plus this would take care of wind direction which sometimes does not work as well with gable end vents.
So, do you mean adding 2 more vents on the left and right wall just under the roof?

So, do you mean adding 2 more vents on the left and right wall just under the roof?
Yes, that is what I understand, and what I would do too ... :)

Put another vent on each wall that doesn't currently have one, up as high as you can, so the roof overhang protects it.

Usually soffit and gable vents provide good flow to remove moist air.
Call cornice and and end vents here....might help you understand?
Hopefully you have a basic understanding of house construction.
upload_2018-12-31_20-9-59.png

Since you don't have soffits due to no rafters not sure how you can make eave vents.

Back
Top Bottom