Jul 19, 2018
Belgium
Hello, I built some identical chicken coops. The idea was:
- little chance for chicken mites
- easy to clean
- dark to keep the rooster quiet
- automatic door
- lasting
I used coated plywood, which is absolutely rainproof and hard-wearing. However, it doesn't "breathe".
I am aware ventilation is imperative. So, close to the roof top, I cut out a hole with a vent (9 cm x 9 cm)
Each coop has a surface of 100 cm x 80 cm. The roof top is 125 cm high.
There are 3 bantams in each coop and still there is condensation. So, I reckon I need extra ventilation. But where can I place an extra vent? I don't want to create a draft, so I think I shouldn't place it on the backside, should I?
20181225_090140.jpg

I'd make the existing vent larger, and add one on the other side. Water vapor is lighter than air, so it will rise to the top of the coop. Give it a way to escape and it will.

Nice coops btw. What did you use for roofing, and do you have a brand name for the coated plywood?

With the 2 vents condensation has seriously decreased. Happy with the result.
That’s great! If you feel more is needed you may want them just below the lower edge of roof , this will help with the pull and draw effect. Plus this would take care of wind direction which sometimes does not work as well with gable end vents.

Yes that is what I meant, either square vent like you have on the gable ends or if you can get them? then I would use the round ones that just require you to drill a hole ( I like easy). You could do more then one depending on the size you find, I can get 1” 2” or 3” etc.
spread them out.

As aart pointed out you don’t have a soffit/ cornice so you will have to put them high on the wall just under the overhang.

Those are fantastic! I agree: you should be proud!

I still get condensation on the underside of my roof even though I have tons of ventilation (14 sq ft on a 32 sq ft coop for 4 birds). But my roof is metal, so I think that's something I will have to live with. That coated plywood is nifty! I can't find it here in the US. I kind of made my own coated plywood with a waterproofing compound.

I have heard several times on BYC that more ventilation is better ventilation. The Woods coop and open front designs support that assertion. Maybe check out other coops of similar size/design for ideas.

I'm no carpenter, either, so I understand your trepidation about making changes! But your work is great so far! I'd trust you to make holes in my coop!

Last edited:
But where can I place an extra vent? I don't want to create a draft, so I think I shouldn't place it on the backside, should I?
Bigger vent.... on both gables.
Under eaves would be good too.
Pics of inside of coop, please?

Windows for light are important all year around, and for more ventilation in summer.
Are you not allowed to have crowers in your area?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-29_16-13-28.png

I would enlarge the vent you already have, and have another on the backside across from it. You want air to flow in to push out the moist air, and at that height there shouldn't be a draft as the roost shouldn't place them that high up with the slope of the roof. I would make both vents larger than 10 cm square, at minimum.

Back
Top Bottom