Condensation in Coop

ClarksHomestead

In the Brooder
May 26, 2019
Concrete WA
I have a shed coop combo and am experiencing a lot of condensation in my coop. To the point there’s water droplets on the windows. Any suggestions?!
Thank you
8E559C28-9EC6-44CC-830C-FDC4FC02D186.jpeg

There are two vent holes on each end of the coop.

You need about 1 square foot of permanent -- 24/7/365 -- ventilation per chicken.

Since heat and ammonia both rise and since chickens shouldn't have drafts blowing directly on their roosts, the best place for that ventilation is up high on those gable ends. The bigger the better.

Yes windows are closed.
I have 15 chickens.
There is water in the coop.
There are two vent holes on each end of the coop. Weather has been wet and if not we then freezing.
Thank you for your help!

You definitely need more ventilation.
Having tall walls gives opportunities to add BIG vents up high.
Leave at least one of those windows open a few inches too.
Chickens don't drink at night. I recommend removing the water at night.
I also say remove the heat lamp.

Ventilation ... Adding windows .... May I suggest "hopper windows" in place of vents, and for adding windows in the back wall.

TAFCO WINDOWS 31.75 in. x 15.75 in. Hopper Vinyl Window with Screen-PV-HOP 32x16 - The Home Depot

Hopper windows allow the entire opening of a window to serve as ventilation because the glass can be turned completely horizontal. This matters because it only takes up 1-2" of the entire window opening instead of 1/2 of the opening like your current windows. The white line in the windows of my coop is the window folded out- so that entire area is open air with no glass reflecting heat.

That means there isn't 1/2 of the window acting like a greenhouse... They will also let more light into your coop where vents might not. A ridge vent (too late I think) would have been good- allowing air to escape straight up. (apologies if there is one and I don't see it)

Another good way is using a security metal screen door instead of that solid door.

Unique Home Designs 36 in. x 80 in. Su Casa Black Surface Mount Outswing Steel Security Door with Expanded Metal Screen-5SH202BLACK36 - The Home Depot

Another huge ventilation plus, especially if you make a window right across from a metal security door on the backwall - or better yet, if you have electricity - a poultry fan.

Indoor/Outdoor Shutter Barn Fan J&D MFG - Stalls | Stable Equipment Supplies (valleyvet.com)

Front/side:
1609208510904.png

Back: (the slats are the exterior of the fan linked above- they can be propped open to act as a window with the fan turned off)
1609209024135.png

Thank you so much. Very informational! Sounds like I have a bit of work to do! Always learning. Thank you!

It's a really neat coop! Just pick one thing at a time- the first thing I would do is get some really big vents (or hopper windows!!) in that great overhead space you've got. That will help quite a bit. When summer hits, even here in the Pac NW, you'll want all the ventilation you can get.

Hardware cloth frames on the exterior of the windows will keep night critters from crawling in. I cut the hardware cloth so it's about 1" less wide, and 1" less tall than the window opening, then I staple-gunned the corners to keep them in place (into the existing exterior window trim)... then screw in some new trim wood over the top of the hardware cloth, screwing into the existing window trim, so the hardware cloth is firmly in place to repel predators, even with windows wide open. =) Then your windows will still look pretty but not have predator risk.

Once you've made a change (like adding vents/windows to the top area), take a boiling pot of water (keep it covered til you get to the coop)- turn off any lights in the coop - put the pot at roost level --- then use your flashlight to see where the water vapor from the boiling pot ends up. That will offer some clues on any "dead air" spots where (edited to read: MOISTURE, not "ventilation") might collect. Smoke will work too but - I got enough smoke in the wildfires this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom