Condensation on Door

BTW, back to the OP's original question, if I had to make a suggestion to improve that house, assuming the tall side of that shed roof faces south, I'd put in a couple windows under the eaves. That would let sunlight in to brighten things up and to warm it up a bit in relation to the outside air, which would dry the place out even more. There looks to be a lot of ventilation already in place up high, with those cracks left under the roof decking between the purlins. BTW, if the OP has weasels and such, that is a way in. Just saying.

If I was to put in more ventilation, it might be a couple very small gable vents in the front between the windows. One up high and one down low.

But my building is the same width as Jack's but not as deep. So maybe the air in mine turns over more often? My side windows are closed (and have been for the past month or so) and I don't have monitor windows in yet. I still have the same plastic roofing material blocking the opening as I've always had. Those have 1 inch cracks on the sides, so my monitor is venting about the same as Jack's is with his windows still cracked open.

I don't know about that. You have 1" gaps along the sides. I have two 36X12" upper windows, hinged at the top. So, they are not only cracked open an inch (Really about an inch and a half) at the bottom of each window, but they are opened a bit, along both sides of each window. So they are flowing more than what you have. I thought you built some windows for the monitor. You just have to install them?

Well, partially built. I'm using plexiglass for the windows, but my stash for that is about 100 miles away, so next time I'm up that way I'm going to nab what I need then get them painted and installed.

Well, partially built. I'm using plexiglass for the windows, but my stash for that is about 100 miles away, so next time I'm up that way I'm going to nab what I need then get them painted and installed.

I would use real glass for the windows. As you know, coops are dusty. That dust gets on a glass window, you can just take a rag, and wipe it off. You do that with a plastic/plexiglass window, it will be permanently scratched up, and will eventually become opaque, where you won't be able to see through it, and you won't get hardly any sunlight through. Go with glass, man.

Update......just went out to let the birds out......windows are again wet (we had fog and list mist this morning), but windows are only wet on the outside. Inside surfaces are dry. No water at all on the inside......anywhere.

Hi guys.

I'm curious about all this because... I have a metal pole barn and metal covered run. We run close to 100% humidity here in the PNW when it got down to 35, brr that's cold for us.

Thing is, even with my run completely open (except the peak where it meets the building), once it warms up the condensation starts dripping everywhere. It's worse than when it's raining. It's obviously the whole cold cup on a hot day scenario, but how much ventilation there is doesn't change this. I presume this to be the case inside the barn as well. It drips when it meets the wood frame as its rolling down. Yes, when things are wet it feels soooo much colder than when the air is dry. Crazy how humidity effects things. And the opposite is true as well, when it's warm the humidity makes it feel like we are gonna die at only 70 degrees when we used to be in the desert at 110 and less sweaty... So I totally understand how moisture can add to frostbite.

Any suggestions?

Hi guys.

I'm curious about all this because... I have a metal pole barn and metal covered run. We run close to 100% humidity here in the PNW when it got down to 35, brr that's cold for us.

Thing is, even with my run completely open (except the peak where it meets the building), once it warms up the condensation starts dripping everywhere. It's worse than when it's raining. It's obviously the whole cold cup on a hot day scenario, but how much ventilation there is doesn't change this. I presume this to be the case inside the barn as well. It drips when it meets the wood frame as its rolling down. Yes, when things are wet it feels soooo much colder than when the air is dry. Crazy how humidity effects things. And the opposite is true as well, when it's warm the humidity makes it feel like we are gonna die at only 70 degrees when we used to be in the desert at 110 and less sweaty... So I totally understand how moisture can add to frostbite.

Any suggestions?

Google "condensation in metal pole barns" and the solution is to use rigid foam insulation under the roof. I linked to this thread earlier, but will repeat it again here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1144174/metal-roofs-and-condensation

Back
Top Bottom