Condy's Crystals ( Potassium Permanganate ). YES or NO!

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
I have used this stuff before as an old chicken farmer said it was great.

I used it a couple of times in my chickens water. I made a "rough" estimate from what he told me and I made the water a nice dark purple. My chickens drank it. I had no problems with it in my flock, didn't see much benefit from it but then again I only used it every so often and only about 5 times.

I have recently been doing some research on ACV and the name Condy's Crystals came up so I did a search for that and found a heap of stuff on this subject.

But with all "old farmers tricks" there were extreme YES's and Extreme NO's for using this stuff.

So does any one have an opinion on this? Is it a YES or a NO?

Quote:
That is the absolute WORST reason to do anything
wink.png

Most of the "chicken gurus" in my area have only given me beneficial, cost-efficient advice that's worked well. From management techniques to feed, they've pointed me in the right direction along with some awesome folks here. I don't knock what the "experts" and "educators" say here; why would I knock others in my area that have been raising chickens humanely for over 50 years?
cool.png

After having read about potassium permanganate, I would have to ask what benefit is it supposed to provide for the chickens? Knowing that, then decide whether or not to use it.

It appears to provide the same benefit as Apple Cider Vinegar, so it may be a matter of cost and ease of use.

Chris

Actually I'd think that the worst reason to feed something is because a company that deals in hazardous byproduct and waste has figured out how to give it to animals and started advertising it as necessary... *cough*
sickbyc.gif
big_smile.png

I have heard Condee's Crystals touted as being all that, and I do think that in some circumstances they are beneficial and even lifesaving, but in general needn't be used, and only address temporarily an insufficiency of diet. That's what I've seen them used for, to bolster the ailing animal through a symptom of dietary lack. I think like Epsom Salts and Bicarb they do have their uses but mostly purified and hyper-processed stuff is dangerous.

Generally those doing the touting have some frightening poultry-keeping practices... Not to slur anyone, of course, just my generalized experience or expression of inexperience, however you apply it.

Actually I'd think that the worst reason to feed something is because a company that deals in hazardous byproduct and waste has figured out how to give it to animals and started advertising it as necessary... *cough*
sickbyc.gif
big_smile.png

I have heard Condee's Crystals touted as being all that, and I do think that in some circumstances they are beneficial and even lifesaving, but in general needn't be used, and only address temporarily an insufficiency of diet. That's what I've seen them used for, to bolster the ailing animal through a symptom of dietary lack. I think like Epsom Salts and Bicarb they do have their uses but mostly purified and hyper-processed stuff is dangerous.

Generally those doing the touting have some frightening poultry-keeping practices... Not to slur anyone, of course, just my generalized experience or expression of inexperience, however you apply it.

I couldn't agree more.

I've never used it or heard of anyone using it for poultry around here. I've used potassium permanganate many times, to disinfect new aquarium plants and kill any snails that might be attached. I always rinse them afterwards, before putting them in a tank.

I think it can be used to make bad water safer to drink, by killing organisms in it. I'd never need it for that here. I can't think of any reason I'd use it for poultry. Other people might. If your chickens need electrolytes, I'd use an electrolyte mix, since there's more than just potassium in those.

The main reason ACV with the mother in it is good for chickens is because of the live organisms in it. Similar to the way that the live cultures in yogurt and other cultured foods are good for you. I know there are some people that use the pasteurized/filtered vinegar to kill or discourage algae in their water containers, but I just clean mine. I don't keep mine in the sun, though, so it's not a big deal for me.

Maybe there's some other reason to use it, I don't know.

HI all, thanks for your input.

Yeah, to me it doesn't seem much different to ACV and in some info I have read it says ACV is better any way.
Condy's is supposed to be like a general disinfectant for your birds. It is supposed to help keep internal parasites out and keep the water clean and one person said they use it for worming..I think NOT! But it does seem for some to help in lots of ways. One article I read said it helped her birds with respiratory problems.
So it is a mixed debate as with most things.lol.
One article said they have used it for years, constantly. Like not for one offs and they only lost a couple birds over like 9 years and all there flock had shiny coats and no worms and just great general health.

I also saw that it was used for like when you go to countries with infected water that you put condy's in an it purifies the water.

I've never used it or heard of anyone using it for poultry around here. I've used potassium permanganate many times, to disinfect new aquarium plants and kill any snails that might be attached. I always rinse them afterwards, before putting them in a tank.

I think it can be used to make bad water safer to drink, by killing organisms in it. I'd never need it for that here. I can't think of any reason I'd use it for poultry. Other people might. If your chickens need electrolytes, I'd use an electrolyte mix, since there's more than just potassium in those.

The main reason ACV with the mother in it is good for chickens is because of the live organisms in it. Similar to the way that the live cultures in yogurt and other cultured foods are good for you. I know there are some people that use the pasteurized/filtered vinegar to kill or discourage algae in their water containers, but I just clean mine. I don't keep mine in the sun, though, so it's not a big deal for me.

Maybe there's some other reason to use it, I don't know.

Yes, I've read of it's use in aquaculture.

HI all, thanks for your input.

Yeah, to me it doesn't seem much different to ACV and in some info I have read it says ACV is better any way.
Condy's is supposed to be like a general disinfectant for your birds. It is supposed to help keep internal parasites out and keep the water clean and one person said they use it for worming..I think NOT! But it does seem for some to help in lots of ways. One article I read said it helped her birds with respiratory problems.
So it is a mixed debate as with most things.lol.
One article said they have used it for years, constantly. Like not for one offs and they only lost a couple birds over like 9 years and all there flock had shiny coats and no worms and just great general health.

I also saw that it was used for like when you go to countries with infected water that you put condy's in an it purifies the water.

Potassium permanganate is the opposite of ACV....PP kills things, ACV adds beneficial organisms.

I can't see where it would help an individual bird with an infection very much, but if you have an entire flock with infection running through, it, then they may be infecting each other through the contaminated water, as well as through other physical contact and airborne particles.

If someone was sick and snotty, would you drink out of their glass?
sickbyc.gif

Plus, chickens are dipping their beaks in the water and sneezing into it. I've never had an infection like that in any of my flocks, but I can see where constant transmission between birds would be a problem. That might be a good time to use any number of things in the water.

I was going to say that I don't use any preventatives. After thinking about it, I guess I do. I focus on safe housing with good ventilation, fresh water in a clean container, a balanced diet, plus free range time for chickens of any age, to get green feed, a wide variety of foods and exercise. Those things all help prevent disease and keep chickens healthy. You could say that's the holistic approach, although I always thought of it as basic care and common sense.

Plus, I'm careful where I get my chickens from, so I don't bring in disease. I don't go to swaps or auctions. It's always so tempting, but I've been so lucky over the years, I just don't want to risk it. So, as far as how I prevent disease in the flock, that's how I handle it. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Back
Top Bottom