Confession: I’m afraid of chickens

eggsandfeta

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2023
🙈 I know.

I am afraid of chickens. We have nine who are around a month old (maybe older?) and two ducklings. I’m not at all afraid of the ducks!

The chicks flap their wings and try to peck me and it freaks me out. We have goats for milk and the idea was chickens for eggs… and as the main caretaker I’m going to need to figure out how to help us all love each other lol. So I really need help in this area please!

I think I was a bit afraid too before I fell in love with them.
Not sure what will work for you but I suggest you get a chair and any clothing that will protect parts of you that you are scared will be bitten - eg gloves - and just sit quietly in the chicken area. Don’t try to touch them. Just sit.
Next day maybe bring some treats with you and sprinkle them on the ground at your feet.
I just realized how lovely they are by sitting and watching them.

Can you articulate what it is about the chickens that scares you? What is it about the wings flapping and the pecking that's frightening?

Do they hurt you? Or are you afraid to get hurt? They are usually different things. The quick movements can be a little jarring when you're not used to it - I have 6 week old chicks that peck when they're alarmed, but it's never come close to actual pain. They are typically just checking me out. They're likely much more afraid of you than you are of them!

Slow movements, gentle talking, and a lot of patience. That's my novice advice. Remember that you're a giant, and they're tiny!

Best of luck to you, I love that you reached out for advice. You're doing great.

I seldom touch my chickens. I just like to watch them. Once in a while one will be in the nest when I want to get eggs, but with a little hand waving - most will get out.

I can catch them, and if I need to I will, but generally I don't - as in months go by. I know a lot of people examine their birds a lot of the time, but I don't, and they get along fine. I have never had an egg be bound, or any of the other disease and problems others have - so no real reason for handling them.

Mrs K

Do you have hens or roosters?

When do they peck you? Are they trying to get to food? There is a great Article here about the different types of chicken pecks and what they mean. That helped me understand what was going on. Also one on chicken noises.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pecking-not-all-pecks-are-equal.75036/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-with-three-tips-to-become-more-fluent.78044/

Mine get so excited to see me because they know I bring food, I have to toss some Scratch into the run when I enter so that they run away from the door. Once they have something else to peck at I'm very boring.

I've had chicks try to peck off my freckles and make them bloody. They were looking for food and were possibly curious. At one month old they should still be pretty gentle. Swat them on the nose quickly with your hand or finger whenever they peck too hard. That's what the mama hen does to discipline them.

Mine are quite curious, but don't peck me unless food is involved. They like to stand on top of the dog crate so we're closer to eye-to-eye. I slowly reach my fingers out and pet/check their crops while staring them calmly in the eye and talking calmly to them. I pick up most of my chickens. They don't care for it, but most tolerate it well. I've never been pecked when I collect eggs. I pet the hens in the nest box, talk calmly, and then remove the eggs from under her and replace the fake ones back under her. Most hens stay in the nest box the whole time.

You are still getting used to them. Chickens are prey animals too, so sometimes they act unpredictable (bc something might kill them).

Once they begin to lay eggs, they tend to mellow out as well. They can become quite friendly once they hit point of lay (POL). If you have no males (which I wouldn’t recommend for you anyway), then a female will take charge of the flock more or less, but you may be seen as the flock leader.

They will investigate things with their beaks, often people comment that when it’s summer, and they have painted toenails, the chickens will peck their toes. Hanging/flopping shoelaces (or any kind of bird or string) will draw their attention too. So, keep that in mind.

If you want them to steer clear if you on any particular day, just add a plastic grocery bag or two to your ensemble, making sure it can flap in the wind and make noise, and I guarantee they will keep their distance.

Back
Top Bottom