1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confession time

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Darlasmum, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Am i a monster? On Sunday I cleaned out my fish bowl - and not wanting any more guppie babies I culled the females and fed them to my chickens. I didnt just want to flush them, that seemed like a waste, and my three girls thought it was a great treat.

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I don't find it any different than feeding Meal worms or Crickets to the chickens, and they just LOVE it!

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I always get too many baby goldfish in our 1,000 gallon pond and if I could only catch those things while they are small...... Nah, I don't know if I'm strong enough. [​IMG] When I do get them they are a nice size and healthy so I always have people wanting them. I love my fish and would never hurt my big ones that I've had for many years but those hundreds of tiny new ones every year....

4. armadamork

armadamork Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    I find it no different than catching a praying mantis and watching the girls fight, catch, and run with it.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Circle of life. The only problem is between our ears.

6. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I don't see any problem with it. I certainly think it's better than flushing them.

Heck, I was thinking about catching carp in the spring just to feed the flock.

7. cnodgaard

cnodgaard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Harrisburg
    Sad to hear about the person who kills praying mantises. They are a beneficial insect and are protected in many states. [​IMG]

8. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Agreed. Perhaps they did not realize how important they are and now will know!

9. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I love Praying Mantis! We even had one in our house we named Fred, we would put out Hambuger for him, and leave the door open in case he wanted to leave, but for about a week, he sayed with us [​IMG]

We had a caretaker come in to watch my Husbands Grandmother, and she flipped out when she saw it, and wanted to Kill it, but Granny told her NO, that is Fred, he doesn't hurt anything, leave him alone, LOL.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  10. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooohhh....... Thank you for speaking up for the praying mantis. True guardians.

As a child I was terrified by them!!! So strange looking and the weird way they moved......
    ......fast forward many years and I have learned to be proud, excited and protective of one when it appears in my garden or on the side of my house.

Now they make me smile. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by