confirmation of breed and age of hens?

simonas011

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2015
Hello,

I'm a new backyard chicken owner. I've never had any hens before nor do i know that much about them.

A few weeks ago i bought 4 hens from a farmer. I did quite a bit of research on the breeds i wanted. Based on his information i should have now:

16-17 week gold laced wyandotte
14-15 week black australorp and light Sussex
12-13 week white leghorn

The leghorn is the hen i wanted most because I'm really looking forward to her large white eggs.

In my eagerness i was trying to find out what 12 week leghorn would look like and based on some pictures I'm very confused as to whether i really do have a leghorn or not.

Any confirmation as to the rough age and breed of these hens would be really appreciated. They're all very friendly and i live then to bits, but it would be nice to be sure of what I've actually got!!

Thank you!

You don't have a White Leghorn in the group. The white bird looks to also have a rose comb, or possibly pea (hard to see in the photo), and grey legs....a 12 to 13 week old White Leghorn female would have a fairly substantial single comb working on up about now, and yellow legs.

The rest should be what they were claimed to be though.

Lady of McCamley

You don't have a White Leghorn in the group. The white bird looks to also have a rose comb, or possibly pea (hard to see in the photo), and grey legs....a 12 to 13 week old White Leghorn female would have a fairly substantial single comb working on up about now, and yellow legs.

Lady of McCamley

I agree.

No chance that it could just be that shes younger than i was told? :( she is significantly smaller than the other 3 birds *sadness*

Last edited:

Lady of McCamley
The comb doesn't really matter since a White Leghorn can come Single and Rose comb.
I do agree that if it was a Leghorn then it wouldn't have slate legs.

Back
Top Bottom