Conflicting info: At what age do geese lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Friend2Fowl, Mar 3, 2010.

1. flockman

flockman Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My geese always started the spring after they hatched. Right about 1 year of age.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bluewater57

Bluewater57 Chirping

Apr 13, 2013
    I hatched an egg from EBAY because my female was killed by a opossum, which left my male all alone. Out of four eggs, 1 was hatched, luckily it was a female. She will be 3 months Thursday....I found an egg today in the hen house.
    Has anyone experienced this??

Flockandfowl46 likes this.
  3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Wow, never! I am totally shocked. Is he breeding with her?

4. Bluewater57

Bluewater57 Chirping

Apr 13, 2013
    I really haven't noticed anything yet. I feel like trying to hatch the egg!
    He is 3 yrs old and was very depressed after his mate was killed, I almost lost him too.
    I know he has been very good with her as far as showing her things and she follows him everywhere.
    He has made a huge turn around.

1 person likes this.
  5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh yes, they mourn. Geese are a true flock bird. I have an Embden quad, and my Big fella really ignores the other 2 hens for the most part. "His" hen.. does not let her out of his sight.
    So glad to hear he is improving quickly, I am convinced you saved him.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

My Buff goose was 4 months old when my Embden gander 7yrs was mating with her and she was receptive. No egg though till she was 9 months old. Are you absolutely sure on her age. That maybe a first.
    So happy he has made a turn around they are so devoted to their mates.

7. milkweeds

milkweeds Chirping

Mar 11, 2015
    Hello folks..............I have tuffed Toulouse, they were born June 20th of 2015....they were bought as a pair and the girl has laid 4 eggs in the past 2 weeks..( Jan 2016 ) ..the first egg had 2 yokes.....so we have decided to see if they are fertile ( since we see them breed) and placed them in the incubator....has anyone had any luck with baby goslings from a young mom? I heard they are not fertile the first season, but thought I would at least see for myself.....anyone else ever hatch baby goslings from 8 month old Mama Goose?

8. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Songster

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN

It's possible yes. They just usually aren't as successful as two year old+ geese.

9. Bluewater57

Bluewater57 Chirping

Apr 13, 2013
    My African female was 3 mos old when she started laying...very broody. None of her 15 eggs were fertile. Question is if my gander is fertile!

10. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    3 months :hmm
    Youngest I ever heard a goose to lay! Are you sure it isn't a Chinese female!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: