Confounded by Sicilian buttercup chicks shunning their heat cave

Pics
03FCE072-FB5F-46B2-A76B-A46D88B13861.jpeg
3CDA9D6B-C25B-45B9-B8E4-6BC73804EF06.jpeg
An update in honor of the Buttercups. Scotty on the left (the more mature of the two, and Saffron on the right, the one that tends to get into trouble, are turning eleven weeks old.

For some reason, they were intent on exploring the favorite nest boxes this morning while I cleaned the coop. They appeared to be fascinated by the pine shavings and were scratching around in them. Wood shavings are a New Thing to the Buttercups because they are only in the nesting boxes. Sand is in the coops and runs as the substrate they've been used to their entire lives.

They are generally accepted by the entire flock. Only one hen, eight-month old Elsie, a Blue Plymouth Rock, insists on chasing and terrorizing them. But hey, that's what pullets are for, amirite?

View attachment 2917268View attachment 2917269An update in honor of the Buttercups. Scotty on the left (the more mature of the two, and Saffron on the right, the one that tends to get into trouble, are turning eleven weeks old.

For some reason, they were intent on exploring the favorite nest boxes this morning while I cleaned the coop. They appeared to be fascinated by the pine shavings and were scratching around in them. Wood shavings are a New Thing to the Buttercups because they are only in the nesting boxes. Sand is in the coops and runs as the substrate they've been used to their entire lives.

They are generally accepted by the entire flock. Only one hen, eight-month old Elsie, a Blue Plymouth Rock, insists on chasing and terrorizing them. But hey, that's what pullets are for, amirite?
Wow! They are gorgeous! I've never seen this breed before and I love their unique combs and their feather patterns!

Since I picked these two up at TSC on their final day of Chick Days, for free I might add, I've found that they are pretty rare. MyPetChicken has discontinued offering the breed, for example. They are definitely a bright spot in my daily life, being not only very beautiful, but entertaining by their daily antics.

Since I picked these two up at TSC on their final day of Chick Days, for free I might add, I've found that they are pretty rare. MyPetChicken has discontinued offering the breed, for example. They are definitely a bright spot in my daily life, being not only very beautiful, but entertaining by their daily antics.
they are rare here too, and have priority status on the rare breeds survival trust watchlist.

Back
Top Bottom