confused about barred rock gender

bluedog350

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Long Island
Hi everyone! I am kind of new to chickens. I have read everything I can, and am still confused about two of my six chicks. I don't want to annoy my neighbors, so I would have to give my roosters away. I purchased them at a few days old. So they are somewhere between 10 and 11 weeks now. I know the pictures aren't the greatest, but they move so darn fast!!

chick #1 This one has lighter barring, and no tail. Always the first to come and greet me. Larger of the two, light grey on legs.

chick #2 This one has longer tail feathers, that are starting to curl. Darker in color, and is "in charge." When "she" goes into the coop, everyone follows. Darker grey on legs.

another picture of chick #1

This is a pic of them side by side, about a week ago

Both like to sit on my chair, and the dark one likes to jump & sit on my back, while I am sitting in the chair! I can't imagine having to give them away.

My other chicks: 2 black australorps, 2 golden comets. I am pretty sure they are all pullets. These two BPRs are keeping me guessing....

Thanks for any tips you can give me!!

Thanks Fried Green Eggs!! I looked at the link: Very white compared to very dark. I was worried that, as they got older, mine would keep getting lighter in color. Or maybe it's just my eyes & mind playing tricks on me!! I think the combs are still small, so that is encouraging also. They are such characters!! Definitely the best personalities of my 6!

I just got BRs this spring 16 hens & 2 roos. When I moved them to their new coop and run they wouldn't come out of the coop until they saw me in the run. Now if I go in the run I have to keep a eye on them or one of them will fly up and land on my shoulder
ep.gif
LOL

@ Fried Green Eggs --- that is hysterical!!! When I went in the run last night to give fresh water, the darker kept eyeing me up! She (yay!!!) ran right up to me, and looked like she wanted to jump up on me. It's so awesome that they all have individual personalities. I love to just sit outside and watch them. In the evenings when I am home from work, I let them explore the back yard. It's cute to see them take off running when a robin lands in the grass. LOL

@ Mama Hen Chris --- Veronica is beautiful!! I am glad to see my girls are looking just like her. My two were originally Spot and Dottie, but my boyfriend changed them to Whitehead and Blackhead. LOL. Honestly, it's easier to tell them apart that way, so the names stuck. I wish now that I had gone with 6 of these, because they are awesome. Blackhead went from my back to the back of the chair that day. Whitehead likes to try and roost on the roof panels of my little greenhouse. The long roost in their run is referred to as their "front porch swing" because they always sit on it for a few minutes before heading to the coop for the night. :)

They are girly-girls. I've raised BRs for years, hatched and grown out many chicks. They are super easy to sex as soon as they are dry and fluffy after the hatch, to a 90% degree of accuracy (as long as they are truly pure BRs--crosses may look like BR pullets, but be cockerels instead).

Barred Rocks will always be my first love. I've had hatchery Rocks and I have some old line heritage BRs out of a 50 year pure line. All are sweet and friendly and wonderful hens. Can't go wrong with Rocks! I also have blue, black and splash Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom