Confused about BLRW"S

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by marymac, Feb 25, 2009.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I would really like to get some BLRW chicks, or maybe hatching eggs. I think these birds are beautiful, but I am confused about their coloring. Why are the called blue when I see some people have them and they have no blue in them. I see buff and white lacing but no blue or red. I am not into the buff and white and am afraid that is what i may end up with if I buy eggs. Where can I find the true blue and red ones? How can 2 different color chickens be called BLRW?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The blue comes dark and light and splash and is the 'blue lacing' on the red wyandotte.

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - a red wyandotte with blue outline on each feather.

I have 2 darks and 2 lights if you want some upclose photos.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    There are three distinct color patterns that stem from the BLRW. Just like the BBS Orp, there is the chance of all three variations when blue is crossed with blue.
    In the picture below is a blue rooster with a splash variation hen. She does have very pale blue lacing but it is not nearly as distinct as the roosters blue coloring. These are both very normal. The black is the other varience but I don't have a black so can't provide a visual, sorry.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I can't tell the difference in the splashes and the light blues. I know there is a range of colors the same as the orps but I am at a loss for them. LOL

5. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I would love to see your photos MissPrissy.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    These sleep on my porch and go out to a pen in the day. I hatched them for my Christmas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the dark ones is crowing now. [​IMG] lol

7. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh Wow!!!, those are pretty. Your light ones look bluish. Now I want some of both!! Why are they so hard to find?

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Like someone said before me, the blue in Blue-laced Red Wyandottes is the "Andalusian blue" meaning that you will get chicks with blue, black, and splash coloring. Here are a few pictures of the BLRW I used to have so you can see the difference.

Blue hen:

[​IMG]

Blue rooster and hen and a splash hen's fluffy (albeit dirty) bottom:

[​IMG]

Splash rooster and hen and a black hen in warp speed:

[​IMG]

Same birds with the black hen posing decently:

[​IMG]

Mixed flock; you can see splash, dark and light blue, and black:

[​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hmmm, now I'm thinking about how awesome a BLR silkie would be [​IMG]

10. marymac

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Oh Geeezzzz!!!! I just have to have some of these birds. They are just the prettiest things. I can see a flock of them in my yard , strutting around , decorating my yard!!!.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by