Confused about BLRW"S

marymac

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I would really like to get some BLRW chicks, or maybe hatching eggs. I think these birds are beautiful, but I am confused about their coloring. Why are the called blue when I see some people have them and they have no blue in them. I see buff and white lacing but no blue or red. I am not into the buff and white and am afraid that is what i may end up with if I buy eggs. Where can I find the true blue and red ones? How can 2 different color chickens be called BLRW?

The blue comes dark and light and splash and is the 'blue lacing' on the red wyandotte.

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte - a red wyandotte with blue outline on each feather.

I have 2 darks and 2 lights if you want some upclose photos.

There are three distinct color patterns that stem from the BLRW. Just like the BBS Orp, there is the chance of all three variations when blue is crossed with blue.
In the picture below is a blue rooster with a splash variation hen. She does have very pale blue lacing but it is not nearly as distinct as the roosters blue coloring. These are both very normal. The black is the other varience but I don't have a black so can't provide a visual, sorry.
Hope this helps
smile.png

13220_chickens_078.jpg

I can't tell the difference in the splashes and the light blues. I know there is a range of colors the same as the orps but I am at a loss for them. LOL

These sleep on my porch and go out to a pen in the day. I hatched them for my Christmas.

blrw1-1.jpg

blrw2-1.jpg

One of the dark ones is crowing now.
sad.png
lol

Like someone said before me, the blue in Blue-laced Red Wyandottes is the "Andalusian blue" meaning that you will get chicks with blue, black, and splash coloring. Here are a few pictures of the BLRW I used to have so you can see the difference.

Blue hen:

Blue-lacedRedWyandottePullet.jpg

Blue rooster and hen and a splash hen's fluffy (albeit dirty) bottom:

Blue-lacedRedWyandotteTrio.jpg

Splash rooster and hen and a black hen in warp speed:

BLRW2new.jpg

Same birds with the black hen posing decently:

BLRnew.jpg

Mixed flock; you can see splash, dark and light blue, and black:

BLRWyandottesnew.jpg

Oh Geeezzzz!!!! I just have to have some of these birds. They are just the prettiest things. I can see a flock of them in my yard , strutting around , decorating my yard!!!.

Back
Top Bottom