Confused about Niacin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DellaMyDarling, May 20, 2019.

1. DellaMyDarling

DellaMyDarling Songster

Dec 13, 2017
    Mass Hilltowns
    Would you happen to have a link?

So if duck has a true deficiency, should I isolate that one with a feed bowl of extra niacin added? Does one meal of that usually take care of a mild deficiency?

Thanks for all the info.

casportpony, quackiemama and Jpat like this.
  2. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡Ducks♡, enough said.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    you don't need to isolate the bowl, just add enough for all your ducks. When you get your niacin supplement, post its nutritional facts and we can help you with the dosage.
    It would be a good idea to get the vitamin B complex for that specific duck. If you get the B complex you can put 1 ml on a piece of bread and give it to that duck once a day. It should help right away. And then put the brewers yeast in their food everyday.

3. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    quackiemama and Jpat like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I have never supplemented feed with niacin and raise healthy Ducklings and Ducks. I feed weeds and grasses plus a Chicken, Turkey, Goose and Duck feed.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

It's very important for those of us that can't get feed for Water fowl to supplement. All those that are much more qualified than us "good reading" is Dave Holdrreads book on raising Ducks. He talks about the importance of supplementing niacin into baby waterfowls diet if you can't find feed formulated for that specific breed. All flock feed like Purina Flock Raiser is another good feed for waterfowl but even with that we still may have one with shaky legs or lameness and if we address it asap it can be gotten over before something like bowed legs happens and is permanent.
    Especially in Pekins and other large fowl but even small like Runners can have problems if the get deficient. @DuckyDonna had a Runner with shaky legs. and may others.

6. chickens really

Well it's a misconception actually..Yes definitely niacin is needed. I use all flock feed and well Pekin actually can be on a broiler feed..

7. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I have one Black East Indie that seems to have shaky and wobbly legs. He tends to sit down a bit more tha the other one. So I started them on fermented feed with extra niacin and avc to help. Each day so far the legs have seem to have gotten stronger. At day three it is almost like the other one. I wasn’t thinking I would have niacin defecianty in such small ducklings but clearly I was wrong.

8. chickens really

Do you provide greens at all?

9. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I haven’t yet but I am going out today to get some dandelion and grass for them to float in water for them.

chickens really likes this.
  10. chickens really

Perfect that's what they really need..:frow

Knighstar679 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: