Confused about sex of these babies.

tslovett6964

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
:idunno:idunno:idunnoi always thought you could sex ducks by the curl in the tail. my friend was given 2 ducks recently and was told they were males. today while watching them one was mating with the other. is that normal?? ive never seen any of my male ducks do this. i’m posting pictures , maybe we are wrong about the sex??

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    590.3 KB · Views: 9
Looks like 2 males. The females are usually just brown and tan and the drakes, Mallards I assume, have green heads.
But I’m still a newbie and I’m struggling with the same thing.
There are many very useful videos on YouTube regarding how to sex your ducks.
I’ve tried but I’m so afraid of hurting them, my oldest is only a month and my youngest is 3 days.
Right now we have 2 drakes and 1 hen, we lost our other female to a hawk, and it’s awful to have 2 drakes with one female, they can seriously hurt her, so we had to separate them until out Pekin females are a bit older.
We were told both Pekins were female, but now I’m wondering.
We have Muscovy’s and our Pekins are rescues.
Our poor female started laying at 9 months on January 23rd and just stopped 3 weeks ago, so I have 2 incubators going with staggered ages of eggs. Ugh!
I need to learn how to sex them because we desperately need more females.
The best way to do it is turn them upside down on your lap and carefully manipulate their “parts” A male will have a tiny, white worm looking “penis” when slight pressure is put on the sides, the female’s will loook like a rose. 🌺

Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom