Confused Broody (& Breeder)

Mar 20, 2021
So I might have done something silly. I had a hen start showing signs of broodiness (wild look in her eyes, puffing up her feathers, hanging out in the nesting box & she had plucked out all her chest feathers). She's 1 yr old now, and went hardcore broody in the fall - I couldn't break her! - so I thought there was good potential she would do the long haul. I got some hatching eggs for her. She sat on them for the remainder of the evening & night, but then in the morning she was out & about. I had to go to work, so I couldn't monitor during the day, but as soon as I got home, I checked & she was off the eggs & they were cold. Disappointed that it was a fail, I pulled the eggs, brought them inside. The next day, she was back on other eggs! Ughhh!! She continued to sit persistently, so I gave her the eggs again.

So, do you think it was completely silly to give her those eggs again?? Do those eggs have a chance??

At this point, she's been broody for 1 week, is that too late to get her started on good fresh eggs??

Currently, my plan is to candle the eggs when it's time & see. If it's a loss, I'll know better next time.

I think you are in with a chance and she should sit for the remainder of incubation. My girls will sit for at least 6 weeks waiting for something to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom