Confused Bunny or what??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mangled, Mar 21, 2008.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, today I bought *myself* a bunny. He's a mini rex. Way too cute. He's got this little row of spots down his spine. He's 7 months old.
    (pics coming soon, of course)

Anyway, after repeatedly telling my little girl not to put her female down around the new bunny when he's out, the first chance she gets, while I was putting the dog out, she's got her bunny on the floor and she?he? is mounting the new bunny aggressively. Biting, you know. [​IMG]

So, this is a female exhibiting dominant behaviour or a young male? I looked to see if I could see boy parts, but there seem to be none. It's awfully fuzzy down there, and well, I don't know much about bunny parts to begin with.

Any bunny folks out there to ease my mind?
    Thanks-
    Em

2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Boy

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hmmm. Be EXTRA watchful of that female about 28 days from now. You might have a few surprises...

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Babies in 28 days.[​IMG]:lau:weee

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

No, no. The one who was mounted was DEFINITELY a boy. I can see his, well, bunny boys down there. The one who did the mounting was sold to us as a female, and I really got down there and looked around. And uh, I can't *see* and boy bunny parts, but it's a young bunny, about 3 months.

She/He ran and jumped on the boy, biting the back of the other bunny's neck and well, doing the thing, it looked like.

It's hard to discuss such things delicately on a family read forum, LOL. Hope I'm getting my point across clearly.

Thanks-
    Em

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have had females mount males . I dont know why but they do .

7. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have also read that Female rabbits will mount male and female rabbits to show they are dominant to all others.

8. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our female (desexed) chihuahua mounts our mail (also desexed) cat. I guess it takes all kinds t make the world go around....and that would include female rabbits. [​IMG]

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Well, then -- guess "she's" just trying to show him who's boss early!!!! [​IMG] If it turns out they're both males they'll fight all the time. Put em in a good sized backyard and it looks like bunny jousting. . . Charging at each other from opposite ends of the yard. . .[​IMG]

10. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I would say that your girl bunny was putting the new bunny in his place - and letting him know that she is boss !! my dogs are like I have 3 female boxers and they mount each other all the time - one even mounts my male boxer -

after a few short play sessions with each other - they will get along it just takes them awhile.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by