Confused ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quinkerton, Jul 9, 2011.

1. quinkerton

quinkerton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    North Bennington
    I have two peking ducks, 1 male and 1 female that are living with my 30 hens and 2 roosters. All of a sudden they have become very territorial and chasing my hens around the yard. Today I caught the male holding the hen down ripping at her head, while the female was pecking at her. It almost looked as if he was trying to breed her. I don't know what to do about this. They are my children's ducks, but I can't have them hurting the chicken's. Any advice would be helpful. I see roasted duck in my future....

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You need to separate them. Drakes are very randy creatures and will try to mate hens. Hens aren't built to handle male duck parts and it can damage a hen severely if the drake is successful. Are you sure the second duck is a female?

3. quinkerton

quinkerton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    North Bennington
    Well I thought she was. I took them from my sister because she had 4, 3 males and 1 female so I took 1 male and the female because she was taking the brunt from the 3 males. She looked terrible. She is smaller then the male, and more feminin looking then him. He is a lot thicker then she is and his tail curles up? I know nothing about ducks really, was just told that male ducks tails will curl? I must sound like a total noob! I am a chicken person.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We all need to start somewhere! You're savvy enough to know you have a situation that has to change.

Female ducks quack, and loudly. Males have the curly drake feather and have more of a whispery, raspy voice.

Aggression is not a good thing. Can you set up a separate run for them? This may sound bizarre, and I'd love to hear other opinions, but might having a couple of additional female ducks help the social situation?

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Amiga is totally right. We all have to start somewhere. Until I joined here last year I didn't know anything at all about chickens or ducks. I only asked if you were sure she was a girl because I had 2 drakes but one didn't have the drake feather for quite a while. I had to get on the web to find recordings of duck voices because I just couldn't be sure what a "real" quack was supposed to sound like. So don't feel silly for asking questions, we're all here to help, and we all keep learning in the process.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by