Confused need advice/info on electric fencing for keeping birds in and predators out

shoregirl68

Songster
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
I am so confused about electric fencing for chickens. It's my understanding the chickens are still able to get out when netting is used and that it can easily short out from grass, leaves or branches. Also because it is netting it is prone to sagging.

Any advice info on what is best to keep my birds in but give they the feel of free ranging and keep the predators out would be greatly appreciated.

Sadly our only predator thus far is our neighbors dog. My neighbor refuses to do anything about it, claiming he has his dog set up with an electric fence, my chickens have been seen on his property (they are such fierce creatures I'm sure he feels his and his dog's safety is at stake...haha). He has also admitted that he sometimes forgets to put his dog's collar on and that if the dog sees something to chase it will run right past the electric fence anyway.

I clearly need to protect my birds from his dog but do not want to completely take away their freedom.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

For info on recent attack see post https://www.backyardchickens.com/ne...r=descending&type=35&createdbyuserid[]=228429

I use the poultry netting from Premier. I have the 4' high double spiked PermaNet. Started out with 300', and found it worked so well for me (And the chickens), I got 300' more. I had one bird, out of 19, go over the netting the first day it was up. I gave her a clipped wing, and that fixed that. Adult chickens can't get through the fence, but young chicks can.
It will be 2yrs in March, the fence has been up and in operation, without a loss. I have a serious fox problem here, they, in two separate daytime attacks, just about wiped me out (16 birds gone). I saw two of them just this morning when I was letting my birds out standing by the tree line. I went to the house to get my rifle, but they were gone when I came back out (Lucky for them) And we also have the occasional dog come through here.
The PermaNet I use has the support poles closer together, so it does not sag. After pulling up and moving the fence to mow the grass for a couple of weeks, I applied Roundup to the fence's perimeter. I have better things to do, them to pull up and move a fence every week or so, just to cut the grass. Roundup makes it easy.
You can get a solar charger, or use household 110V. I have a 110V charger I also got from Premier. My fence charge tester maxes out at 7000Vs, and that is what it reads when I check my fence. I think it is putting out more. I seen a dog "Test" my fence. When he touched it, he yelped, threw it in reverse for about 20 foot or so, then turned and ran another 100yards before he even looked back. He would not even approach the fence after that. I'm happy with my fence.
900x900px-LL-5d44c1b7_IMG_1995.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had extremely similar experiences as JackE, even down to using roundup to keep from having to move it very often. I may have even stolen that idea from him.

There is a big difference in can and will. A piece of space junk can fallout of the sky and hit your house today. You can have a fender bender next time you are in a car. The sun can shine today where you are. Some of these are a little more likely to happen than others.

Chickens can fly over the netting. Will they? Depends on their motivation. I’ve had one hen get out. That was when I set it up in a long narrow configuration. I think the hen got trapped in the narrow end by an amorous rooster and she went vertical to get away from him. If she’d had room to run around him, she probably would have.

I’ve had a few cockerels get out when their hormones kick in and they start their dominance/pecking order fights. Again, one gets trapped in a corner or against the fence and goes vertical to get away. That has happened a few times with a wide configuration, but it’s not an every day thing.

Don’t stress too much about the fact they can fly over it if they want to. In my experience they generally don’t.

Back
Top Bottom