Confused on all Flock Feed

Triumph65

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2021
I have a mixed flock, teenagers (8 weeks) laying hens and roosters. Have read that the calcium is not good for the teens or roosters and that I should use an All Flock feed and supplement calcium to the layers.

The feed stores around here don’t appear to have any All Flock feed.

I could feed starter/grower crumbles to all and supplement calcium. Is that a good idea, also what is the best way to supplement calcium only to the laying hens while keeping away from teens and roosters.

Thank you!

I have a mixed flock, teenagers (8 weeks) laying hens and roosters. Have read that the calcium is not good for the teens or roosters and that I should use an All Flock feed and supplement calcium to the layers.

I could feed starter/grower crumbles to all and supplement calcium. Is that a good idea, also what is the best way to supplement calcium only to the laying hens while keeping away from teens and roosters.

Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general are you? The availability of certain products can depend on location.

What feed stores are available in your area?

Thank you!
I used starter/grower until my girls were laying! Wont hurt them one bit.

I could feed starter/grower crumbles to all and supplement calcium. Is that a good idea
Yes, that should work fine.

Starter/grower is usually about the same thing as all flock, just with a different label on the package.

what is the best way to supplement calcium only to the laying hens while keeping away from teens and roosters.
Just put the calcium supplement in a dish and leave it available free choice.
Chickens are fairly good at eating the right amount.

All of the chickens will probably sample it, to learn what it is and what it's good for. After that, the roosters and chicks will mostly ignore it, but the laying hens will typically eat the right amount. The initial sampling will not be enough to hurt the roosters or the chicks.

I have the starter/grower. Can definitely do that until they start laying, but then still have the roosters. Guess I could stick with the starter/grower. Just need to figure out how to supplement calcium to the layers.
The feed store should sell 50lb bags of oyster shell for about $12. Put the oyster shells in a small dish near the feed, just like @NatJ says.

I have the starter/grower. Can definitely do that until they start laying, but then still have the roosters. Guess I could stick with the starter/grower. Just need to figure out how to supplement calcium to the layers.
You don't HAVE to feed a layer feed EVER. So having the roosters won't matter. Just feed them all the same thing forever, and leave oyster shell available.

@3KillerBs - I am in central texas, between Austin and San Antonio. My little town has 2 feed stores but no All Flock.

Thanks!

Which feed stores?

If you've got Southern States then your all-flock feeds are Southern States/Nutrena Country Feeds Flock Balancer pellets or Super Breeder crumble and, depending on the store, possibly Purina Flock Raiser.

If you've got Tractor Supply then your all-flock feeds are Purina Flock Raiser, Nutrena Naturewise All Flock, and Dumor All Flock (which is only 17% protein and therefore inferior to the 20% feeds).

Back
Top Bottom