Confused on Blue breeding

Pics

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I thought I had blue breeding figured out.
Blue is a dilution of black.
One Blue gene = blue
2 Blue genes = splash

• Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
  • Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
  • Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
  • Black X Black = 100% Black
  • Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
  • Splash X Black = 100% Blue

However, on a FB group, someone posts this picture.
incomplete dominance.jpg

Two different breeders in the group said this is how blue genes work.... I don't think it is... unless there is another type of "blue" chicken than Blue/Black/Splash.

Facebook :th
Now what are you gonna believe? What you see on Facebook or what you learn on backyardchickens.com?
Your poster could almost be correct IF the white chicken was recessive white with splash underneath.
Recessive white takes two copies to show so in the F1s none would be white. The splash underneath crossed with black would produce all blue chicks.
When those chicks are bred together you would get some whites popping up because all F1s carry one gene for it.
The blue Xs blue gets the BBS which the pic doesn't show splash. But the black, blue and white would be possible.

Anyways I'll see your entertaining chicken genetics pic and raise you this one....
slide_51.jpg

Facebook :th
Now what are you gonna believe? What you see on Facebook or what you learn on backyardchickens.com?
Your poster could almost be correct IF the white chicken was recessive white with splash underneath.
Recessive white takes two copies to show so in the F1s none would be white. The splash underneath crossed with black would produce all blue chicks.
When those chicks are bred together you would get some whites popping up because all F1s carry one gene for it.
The blue Xs blue gets the BBS which the pic doesn't show splash. But the black, blue and white would be possible.

Anyways I'll see your entertaining chicken genetics pic and raise you this one....
View attachment 1304131
Thanks for that. I figured it was a different type of "blue" rather than the usual Blue/Black/Splash inheritance.

• Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
  • Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
  • Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
  • Black X Black = 100% Black
  • Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
  • Splash X Black = 100% Blue
This is all I've ever seen for those colors.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you could breed black to white Jersey Giant's, Langshans, Australorps, all day long and never get blue or splash.

Actually I've heard this for about 40 years and it was what got me into chicken genetics.
Back in the 70s I was raising silkies. Back then all I ever seen was blacks and whites and I was raising both colors.
In the parking lot at a show I saw for the first time a blue silkie. I was informed that blues came from breeding blacks to whites. At the time I was showing so crossing colors was something I was told to never do. Well I wanted blue silkies so I ran home and threw all my white roosters with the black hens and vice versa.
I probably hatched about 300 chicks that year and guess how many blues I got? Yep zero. But boy I sure did screw up my lines and never got the recessive white out of my blacks.
About a year later I finally found a pair of blue silkies. I hatched several chicks and guess what? Yep I was getting BBS when I didn't even know what a splash was. I had to get to the bottom of it and started asking questions. BBS was what got me excited about genetics and how things worked.
That was a long time ago but I'm still learning and still fascinated.
Oh and yes I still have a special fondness of working with Blues.

Actually I've heard this for about 40 years and it was what got me into chicken genetics.
Back in the 70s I was raising silkies. Back then all I ever seen was blacks and whites and I was raising both colors.
In the parking lot at a show I saw for the first time a blue silkie. I was informed that blues came from breeding blacks to whites. At the time I was showing so crossing colors was something I was told to never do. Well I wanted blue silkies so I ran home and threw all my white roosters with the black hens and vice versa.
I probably hatched about 300 chicks that year and guess how many blues I got? Yep zero. But boy I sure did screw up my lines and never got the recessive white out of my blacks.
About a year later I finally found a pair of blue silkies. I hatched several chicks and guess what? Yep I was getting BBS when I didn't even know what a splash was. I had to get to the bottom of it and started asking questions. BBS was what got me excited about genetics and how things worked.
That was a long time ago but I'm still learning and still fascinated.
Oh and yes I still have a special fondness of working with Blues.
Hey! That was what got me into genetics too! (Still have a lot to learn, though.)
{EDT: blue got me into genetics. Not silkies.}
And I see your genetics picture and raise you this:

1.+Example+of+Codominant+Problem.jpg

Back
Top Bottom