Confused on the sex of our bourbon red turkey

pineappleash

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 23, 2013
We have two bourbon red turkeys they are both just over a year old. When they were little we were sure we had a male and a female because the one had feathers a lot further up the neck and was smaller than the other. Then early this spring the one we thought was a female started strutting and gobbling and then soon after grew a beard. So we decided our initial decision of it being a girl was wrong. Well today I was gathering chicken eggs and was very surprised to fine a turkey egg in with the chicken eggs. I have heard of aggressive bearded hens but most everyone says the hens can't gobble and this turkey does a pretty good gobble. I am just so confused on whether its a male or female. Even though I know it pretty well has to be a female. The turkey in question is the smaller one on the left.

The brown egg is in comparison to an X-Large ameraucana egg.

A friend of mine was quite confused on the sex of her Bourbon Red as well. Once the bird laid an egg, the gender was of course confirmed! But this girl would strut, fanning out her feathers.

That egg is a chicken egg. We have a year old production red from TSC who this year is laying whoppers like the one you are holding. She lays every other day and every egg is that size. The eggs barely fit in the egg cartons and we can't latch the tops. No double yolks or anything strange, just super large eggs. And she seems very proud of herself when she lays them.

Back
Top Bottom