Confused on what just happened to my doe. kindling 2 times with in 24 hours.

tmedinad497

Hatching
Aug 2, 2018
UPDATE: HOPEFULLY LESS CONFUSING.
I have only experianced 3 kindles of 2 different does. One having ate both her litters but only parts of them, so i tried a different doe, not waiting to over do it being umexperianced and learning. My new doe, larger than the buck, was sucessful in kindling 4 kits however when i checked on them 3 appeared still born and 1 just moving all around. i had read that u had to check make sure no still borns and other dead in the nest. 2 of these kits, that appeared still born, were in the nesting box in the hutch, and 1 of the kits that appeared still born was accross the hutch were the doe uses the bathroom. Because i had only experenced the doe prior who ate half her babies, and knew that if they were dead or what not she would get rid of them to ensure her and remaining kits would live. I did wonder y my doe didnt do this with the three dead ones, I removed all dead kits and rubbed them a little to be sure. all day i check just peeking in, n kit n momma seem to b doing great! 24 hours later, i go out when i wake to check on the baby. i opened hutch there is blood and remains of a totally new kit in her drop pan, along with a blobby thing, she was eating on it...this is when i wondered how she still had a baby in her and acted like her normal self, and why she ate this one and not a thing was harmed on the 1st 3 still borns.
My post earlier i appoligize for the confusing i was worried about my doe, and her kit im as new to getting advice this way as i am to rabbit breeding.

Last edited:
I too found your post confusing. I can't tell if you have the does penned separately or if you have more than one rabbit per cage. The does should each have their own quarters.

I can tell you how I handled my rabbits and you may or may not find it helpful. I gave the pregnant doe a nest box at the proper time. When I saw babies in the nest I pulled the fur aside, counted them, and removed any dead ones.

If the doe had the babies on the wire or otherwise lost them, I rebred her at once. If she did it a second time, she was dinner. Mine.

im sorry i was afraid of that, she kindled 4, 3 appeared to b still born, i rubbedon them to try to b sure and waited a little bit to b sure, 1 alive and well, the next mornig i awoke to find blood n her hutch the baby from prior day alive still and another new one that was not there prior, parts of the new one in her drop pan. i didnt know if this was something that is known to happen, a doe giving birth to 4 kits, 3 of them be still born and 1 alive not harm the 3 still borns at all, but then 24 hours later i go to check mom and baby and there is parts of a whole new bunny in drop pan and blood all over. the story of the other doe is the only other doe i had experenced and she half ate them both times so idk what is really normal and nothing i google can kinda answer it. i also wanted to know if she was gonna be ok or if i needed a vet, i live n an area where the nearest is 61 miles away. so if something that happens i didnt wanna waste my time and money

3x ... Not understanding if this is one doe or you've had other does with kindling issues.

My experience ... I have been able to handle the new borns without incident from the does. Have read & heard that they should not be handled cause the doe will kill them. I handled my adults everyday; grooming and inspection.

When the doe is about ready to kindle, I give her the nest. When she pulls fur I keep a close eye on developments which was easy cause all my cages were visible out my dining room window. The does I had kindled on time, I'd check couple times a day & when I see the fur moving, I pull back the fur & count, cover them back up and leave them alone but check at least once day (maybe more cause they're so cute).

I saw a doe eating a kit from (stomach), I took it away from her. It was not her first kindle but first time this happened. I've been told they will eat dead or dying babies to clean up the nest so not to attract predators. She did this just once, never again.

I have seen kits hanging on to the nipples when a doe leaves the nest, falling on the wire. So that's a possibility when finding kits on the wire. I've never had a doe kindle on the wire :fl

It's very possible she wasn't done kindling but got disturbed by you checking the nest box. The bloody blob could be a miscarry or a clot. It also sounds like she squished some going in & out.

If this was her first time kindling, try her again but if she's a repeat offender, cull her or don't breed her anymore.

Back
Top Bottom