Confused rooster????

spivey

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014
Hi I'm new to this site and I'm in desperate need for advice!!! I have a cream legbar rooster and 2 hens (Rhode Island & aracuna). The problem I have is my ladies are laying fine but my rooster has all the signs of a broody hen! He stays in the coup sits on eggs if he can (we remove them everyday) but still remains in the nest box! Barely comes out to eat or scrat we have taken to babysitting him so he doesn't starve!! Oh they are all 5mth old give or take a few days and all hatched and hand reared! Do I need to be worrying???? Can any 1 advise me please?????

No defo a rooster!

Hi yes I do. Hope this helps it was taken about a month ago so he will 4 month old on the picture. Thanks for your help I'm getting a bit worried.

I know I could be wrong, but I don't see the long saddle feathers on him. I would think that is a hen. And if it's a hen then she's going broody and there are ways to try and persuade her otherwise.

That is a pullet. First I've heard of one going broody before laying eggs but that's what's happened.

If you have a small dog cage or something similar you can put her in that without bedding and with food and water for three days and it will break her. Should get eggs in two weeks after she is broken from broody.

Back
Top Bottom