Roosters: normal or aggressive?

Upstate_chicks

Chirping
Jul 4, 2023
I have two (possibly three) roosters and 12-13 hens. Still waiting to see if one of them is actually a rooster.
Well, the two that are definitely roosters attacked my Cream Legbar hen at the same time. They were just running after her when I started videoing but then it took a violent turn.
I don’t know if this is normal rooster behavior but it was very brutal!
Just after I took the video, she ran away and they chased her.
By the time I ran over there, the big gray rooster (sapphire gem) was basically standing on her head and the other rooster was already leaving the scene.
She was under a bush and didn’t move after I removed the sapphire gem.
I picked her up and she looked exhausted and was bleeding.
She’s all fixed up now and she got very spoiled but I’m concerned about this behavior going forward.
Would you all advise that I get rid of the sapphire gem?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0439.png
    IMG_0439.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0440.jpeg
    IMG_0440.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0435.jpeg
    IMG_0435.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 25
How old are these two males? How old is the female, does she already lay eggs?

This seems like some kind of gang rape situation and I would get rid of both males as I consider this unacceptable behaviour even for young cockerels as it can seriously injure and even kill the attacked female.

Last edited:
How old are these two males? How old is the female, does she already lay eggs?

This seems like some kind of gang rape situation and I would get rid of both males as I consider this unacceptable behaviour even for young cockerels.
They’re 19 weeks old and she is 10 months old.
They seem to chase her more than any other hen.

I also think that this is unacceptable behavior, and would at least start by eliminating the more aggressive of the pair. Both gone wouldn't be a bad thing either.
You could pen these cockerels separately as an alternative, but really, this is not good behavior.
She's older, and do you have other more mature birds in your flock? Nobody is pushing them around, at least not enough!
Mary

I also think that this is unacceptable behavior, and would at least start by eliminating the more aggressive of the pair. Both gone wouldn't be a bad thing either.
You could pen these cockerels separately as an alternative, but really, this is not good behavior.
She's older, and do you have other more mature birds in your flock? Nobody is pushing them around, at least not enough!
Mary
I have 4 other 10 month old girls in the flock. The rest are 19 weeks like the roosters. They were all supposed to be pullets but tractor supply gave me roosters too. And I didn’t choose from a straight run either. 🤦🏻‍♀️
I’m already looking to rehome atleast the gray one after these replies… he is totally fine with the other girls, it’s just this one hen he gets very aggressive with.

Back
Top Bottom