Either my hens are crowing... or the hatchery sold us straight run.

Pics

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
After researching various chicken breeds, we carefully selected the ones we wanted to raise, including Black Australorps. We eagerly waited for months until the local farm and feed store received the chicks we were interested in from a well-known hatchery. These chicks were supposed to be vent-sexed pullets. In March, we brought them home, hopeful that we had a group of female chickens.

However, about a month ago, we noticed one of the chicks exhibiting unmistakable rooster behavior. He confidently strutted around and asserted dominance over the rest of the flock, earning the name Prince. Recently, we heard another distinct crowing sound, and this prompted us to take action. To determine the gender of the other chicks, we decided to put leg bands on the ones we weren't sure about.

To our surprise, during this process, we discovered that five of the chicks were crowing. Surprisingly, they don't resemble Prince at all; in fact, their combs resemble those of the typical Australorp hens that we've seen in photos. This has left us puzzled, as we believed hens crowed only in the absence of a dominant rooster and that crowing hens were rare occurrences. Now we wonder: what are the odds of having four crowing hens in our flock? Or did this well-known hatchery (that I won't name yet) clearly sell us straight run claiming they were sexed pullets?

Last edited:
Starting between 10-12 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers begin showing (on non hen feathered breeds).. usually more flowing closer to the 16 week mark, images from google..

1690643775511.png

1690643803900.png

I've yet to see a bunch of pullets crowing.. or ANY pullet. I have indeed seen hens attempt a pathetic crow.. but the boys sound just as pathetic early on.

Get video of the crowing if possible.. for funsies!

Princeandcrew.jpg

So, Prince, our master roo, is labeled in the back. He stands tall and proud and has a large comb. The two labeled "Hen?" I'm not sure about. The one with the green band crowed this morning, but doesn't stand tall and doesn't have the large comb. The one with the yellow band isn't crowing, but stands like Prince does. What scares me is that almost all of our yellow-banded (non-crowing) stand like this. So - I hope we don't have all roosters! Even in a straight-run, I wouldn't expect those odds.
PXL_20230729_152443965.jpg

And ... we have two black australorps that look like this. They don't match any photos of the hens or roos that I've seen. They are much smaller and more squatly built. Is something wrong with them?

We also got several photos of individual chickens. I'll post those next. Still trying to mark up the photos. Been a hot minute since I edited photos and the app I use changed.

Back
Top Bottom