Either my hens are crowing... or the hatchery sold us straight run.

Pics
It turned out 8 roos, 1 hen, and one I'm still not sure about. We also had a roos from a different batch and had to rehome 9 boys
Your luck sounds like mine. I have a female Mallard that throws out all males except for two females out of over 25 ducklings over the years. I also rehome mine but unfortunately to someone that likes them very well in their belly!!!! No one else would take them and I didn't want to have them just culled for no reason. He feeds his family so I have to realize that is the circle of life and let it go at that. It's surely not easy though.

Your luck sounds like mine. I have a female Mallard that throws out all males except for two females out of over 25 ducklings over the years. I also rehome mine but unfortunately to someone that likes them very well in their belly!!!! No one else would take them and I didn't want to have them just culled for no reason. He feeds his family so I have to realize that is the circle of life and let it go at that. It's surely not easy though.
I was devastated. We hand raised them. I was happy that we found a farm with 80 free range hens and no roosters.

I was devastated. We hand raised them. I was happy that we found a farm with 80 free range hens and no roosters.
So happy you were able to find a good place for yours. It is so hard to give them up. I totally understand that. Sorry you had to experience that. Did you get them from a feed store unsexed? I missed out on that part of the posts.

So happy you were able to find a good place for yours. It is so hard to give them up. I totally understand that. Sorry you had to experience that. Did you get them from a feed store unsexed? I missed out on that part of the posts.
Yes - a local feed store that claimed they were sexed pullets from ideal. Later, I found out that they weren't from Ideal - and they weren't honest with me about it.

Yes - a local feed store that claimed they were sexed pullets from ideal. Later, I found out that they weren't from Ideal - and they weren't honest with me about it.
That is really sad. I hope that you complained to the Feed Store. One of their help may have put them in the wrong bin. The Feed Store I get mine from has people that work from all departments come to get the birds you want to buy and they know nothing at all about what is going on.

That is really sad. I hope that you complained to the Feed Store. One of their help may have put them in the wrong bin. The Feed Store I get mine from has people that work from all departments come to get the birds you want to buy and they know nothing at all about what is going on.
Well, they didn't have any straight run chickens that day. They were all supposed to be pullets. I did call the feed store. It was a fiasco. The manager told me first - I could have a choice of replacement chicks come October, a bag of feed. I told him I wanted to think about it. I talked it over with David and we were gonna take him up on the replacement chicks. I called the manager the next day, and was told they would only do the feed.

We ordered our next batch of Australorp pullets straight from Cackle. They are now 4 weeks old. And we have 13 (thought it was 12 until a few days ago, but that's another story) Cream Leg Bars from a breeder in Mississippi. They are all 9 weeks old. We expect 2 roosters from the Australorp batch. The Cream leg bars has one rooster (planned for). But if we have more than that, we will be rehoming some roosters.

Back
Top Bottom