Either my hens are crowing... or the hatchery sold us straight run.

Pics

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
After researching various chicken breeds, we carefully selected the ones we wanted to raise, including Black Australorps. We eagerly waited for months until the local farm and feed store received the chicks we were interested in from a well-known hatchery. These chicks were supposed to be vent-sexed pullets. In March, we brought them home, hopeful that we had a group of female chickens.

However, about a month ago, we noticed one of the chicks exhibiting unmistakable rooster behavior. He confidently strutted around and asserted dominance over the rest of the flock, earning the name Prince. Recently, we heard another distinct crowing sound, and this prompted us to take action. To determine the gender of the other chicks, we decided to put leg bands on the ones we weren't sure about.

To our surprise, during this process, we discovered that five of the chicks were crowing. Surprisingly, they don't resemble Prince at all; in fact, their combs resemble those of the typical Australorp hens that we've seen in photos. This has left us puzzled, as we believed hens crowed only in the absence of a dominant rooster and that crowing hens were rare occurrences. Now we wonder: what are the odds of having four crowing hens in our flock? Or did this well-known hatchery (that I won't name yet) clearly sell us straight run claiming they were sexed pullets?

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone that replied. We may try to sell them at the farmer's swap next week. I just cannot bare to cull all these chickens we hand-raised and hand-fed. I considered them pets with a purpose - and I already feel like I am betraying them by re-homing them. I am realistic. I know what will likely happen to them :( . I'll probably see if David will take them to the market himself. I don't think buyers would like it if I broke down in tears. First preference: farmers that need some biodiversity.

Update: We have just ordered 16 more sexed australorp pullets - directly from Cackle Hatchery this time. I'm really disappointed that we essentially starting completely over. But one thing about chickens: poo happens.

Starting between 10-12 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers begin showing (on non hen feathered breeds).. usually more flowing closer to the 16 week mark, images from google..

1690643775511.png

1690643803900.png

I've yet to see a bunch of pullets crowing.. or ANY pullet. I have indeed seen hens attempt a pathetic crow.. but the boys sound just as pathetic early on.

Get video of the crowing if possible.. for funsies!

Thank you. Yes. We have a local farm swap weay consider. I'm just more frustrated by thinking they were at least 90 percent hens. My grandma had Dominique bantam named chicadee. She was a sweetie but literally fought a Rhode island red off nest and stole it. Lol
Be very careful about buying birds from swaps. You are in a tough spot now with all these makes but you will be in a worse spot if you bring home a disease.

This 10 percent definitely went the wrong direction
I am so sorry. This is awful.
If they only offered feed they are only replacing what these birds have eaten and nothing for the cost of the birds. Not to mention your time and effort.

Did you order these from the hatchery through the feed store? If so I might would call customer service of the hatchery and run this story by them. May not make a difference but I HOPE this is an unusual mistake.

Contact the hatchery and add the picture to your complaint.

Paying for vent sexed pullets and getting mostly males is unacceptable and they need to send you ASAP pullets of your chosen breeds that are of the same age as the ones you have.
They bought them from a feed store, not a hatchery
Yes - but the feed store got them from a hatchery. I contacted the feed store. They said they've had other complaints from customers, too. They will be happy to comp a bag of feed or give us 8 more pullets in October. If they aren't auto-sexing, I may just take the feed. We have some decisions to make.

Back
Top Bottom