Hen or Roo x four

NDJorgensen

Hatching
Jul 25, 2023
Hello all,

I've got four birds in my last batch of ten pullets that I'm pretty sure are roo's. I couldnt' have done much worse if they'd been straight run.

The two brown ones (7 weeks) were supposed to both be prairie bluebell eggers but #2 with the red feathers doesn't look anything like the other bluebell chicks. The white ones (6 weeks) were supposed to be starlight green eggers, but a friend grabbed those for us from TS and mixed them with her chicks until we could pick them up, and we're not sure what she gave us - especially since one of them is starting to look like a Brahma (she's under the feeder in pic 2 with the fluffy feet).

Between the combs and wattles on 2, 3, & 4 (along with the finger biting) I'm 95% sure those are roo's. I'm still hoping #1 may be a hen, although it's comb and wattle are much more developed than the other bluebell that I'm sure is a pullet (she's in the background in pic 4). But since bluebell eggers are a mixed/hybrid breed I understand there could be a good bit of variation.

We're not supposed to have chickens where we live, so if I've got roo's they'll need to be rehomed before they start crowing and give us away.

So what do y'all think? Did we lose the rooster lottery?

Attachments

• IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    827.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3703.JPG
    IMG_3703.JPG
    498.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3704.JPG
    IMG_3704.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 43
The last 3 are definitely boys.

Hens can be very noisy, especially after laying an egg. Are you in an HOA?
Yes, we’ve got an HOA. Lots are all 1 1/2 acres and heavily wooded between houses so haven’t had any complaints from the neighbors about the hens, but a noisy rooster would be a problem and we don’t want to have to get rid of the girls

So birds 2, 3, & 4 that were obviously boys were rehomed a couple weeks ago but I gave #1 a couple more weeks to feather out. These are pics of it at 10 weeks today and I’m thinking it’s looking like a roo now - those tail feathers are looking awfully pointy. Do y’all agree?

Attachments

• IMG_3783.jpeg
    IMG_3783.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    725.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 24
Hello all,

I've got four birds in my last batch of ten pullets that I'm pretty sure are roo's. I couldnt' have done much worse if they'd been straight run.

The two brown ones (7 weeks) were supposed to both be prairie bluebell eggers but #2 with the red feathers doesn't look anything like the other bluebell chicks. The white ones (6 weeks) were supposed to be starlight green eggers, but a friend grabbed those for us from TS and mixed them with her chicks until we could pick them up, and we're not sure what she gave us - especially since one of them is starting to look like a Brahma (she's under the feeder in pic 2 with the fluffy feet).

Between the combs and wattles on 2, 3, & 4 (along with the finger biting) I'm 95% sure those are roo's. I'm still hoping #1 may be a hen, although it's comb and wattle are much more developed than the other bluebell that I'm sure is a pullet (she's in the background in pic 4). But since bluebell eggers are a mixed/hybrid breed I understand there could be a good bit of variation.

We're not supposed to have chickens where we live, so if I've got roo's they'll need to be rehomed before they start crowing and give us away.

So what do y'all think? Did we lose the rooster lottery?
oh yeah 3 boys,

Back
Top Bottom