Either my hens are crowing... or the hatchery sold us straight run.

PXL_20230729_152403994.jpg

This is one of the ones that had little comb/wattle development - but the tail?
PXL_20230729_152348065.jpg

As opposed to this one with little wattle/comb development.

So you’re planning on keeping 3 roosters? 👀
Yes. We will be segregating the runs. We were already planning on building a new coop and run anyway. We will just have to do it sooner. Currently, the Ameracauna rooster is pretty docile and gets along with Prince pretty well. They seem to be friends? Of course, if that changes, we will be separating them too. But now, we will have this huge run big enough for 24 chickens. We had planned on two roosters (Ameracauna and Legbar) - and now have 10!!

David asks: The big question is at what age should we expect the males to try and breed - because that gang-bang (9 on 3) cannot happen as it will oversex the gals.

Yes. We will be segregating the runs. We were already planning on building a new coop and run anyway. We will just have to do it sooner. Currently, the Ameracauna rooster is pretty docile and gets along with Prince pretty well. They seem to be friends? Of course, if that changes, we will be separating them too. But now, we will have this huge run big enough for 24 chickens. We had planned on two roosters (Ameracauna and Legbar) - and now have 10!!
I once had 7 drakes and only 3 duck hens that was sad but I fund an amish family who took 6 drakes ... did they cook them maybe idk but I had to let them go..

If you need more Australorp pullets @3KillerBs breeds and sells Australorps. She's here in NC.

I got a straight run of 10 Speckled Sussex bantams, wound up with 7 boys! I thought I was going to have to send them to Freezer Camp but found a local poultry auction through a seller at our farmers' market. Check around.

Also, I bought sexed Dominique bantam chicks from Cackle hatchery. I got two boys, and a refund. I have no complaints.

If you need more Australorp pullets @3KillerBs breeds and sells Australorps. She's here in NC.

I got a straight run of 10 Speckled Sussex bantams, wound up with 7 boys! I thought I was going to have to send them to Freezer Camp but found a local poultry auction through a seller at our farmers' market. Check around.

Also, I bought sexed Dominique bantam chicks from Cackle hatchery. I got two boys, and a refund. I have no complaints.
Thank you. Yes. We have a local farm swap weay consider. I'm just more frustrated by thinking they were at least 90 percent hens. My grandma had Dominique bantam named chicadee. She was a sweetie but literally fought a Rhode island red off nest and stole it. Lol

Thank you. Yes. We have a local farm swap weay consider. I'm just more frustrated by thinking they were at least 90 percent hens. My grandma had Dominique bantam named chicadee. She was a sweetie but literally fought a Rhode island red off nest and stole it. Lol
IMG_20230729_110416021~2.jpg

Look familiar?

This is Naomi, one of my 4 Dominique bantam pullets. They're 16 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom