Either my hens are crowing... or the hatchery sold us straight run.

Thank you for confirming. I thought the lav was a roo, but got the pair as a straight run hoping for a roo and hen. Got 10 australorps and was told they were all hens. How often do hatcheries make this mistake? Now, I don't know what to do with all the roos. One is fine - but we got them for eggs. Never heard of a rooster laying one of those, though. That would definitely be a golden one if they do.
I would recommend re-homing or eating all of the dark males, and keeping the one lavender roo. Lavender and black are the same gene, so you would probably get beautiful mixes in the future that way

How I read it, they had their carefully selected and vent sexed pullet chicks sent to the local feed store together with other chicks.

But maybe you are right, the OP might clarify. :confused:
You are absolutely correct. We bought them from a feed store who got them from a hatchery. They were vent-sexed, supposedly. The manager of the feed store is very understanding and pretty upset with the hatchery. I just got off the phone with him and he said we aren't the only ones that complained.

I would recommend re-homing or eating all of the dark males, and keeping the one lavender roo. Lavender and black are the same gene, so you would probably get beautiful mixes in the future that way
The dark chickens are Australorps. They are great egg layers. So, we will likely keep one of them as well to make more australorps.

Back
Top Bottom