Either my hens are crowing... or the hatchery sold us straight run.

Here is a photo of the whole flock:
PXL_20230719_220226282.jpg

Here they are checking out the new cream legbars about to go in the mini-run

PXL_20230729_151428224.jpg
Here are the full 12 - including the two Lav Ameracauna .

What store did you get them from? Feed stores are notorious for mislabling their chicks, either by accident ir because they figure that the sign is close enough for what they got. Unfortunately it's employee error when unpacking since they don't always know a lot about birds and they don't really get training other than the very basics of 'pull dead ones out if the bin, and make sure the bins are clean and have food and water.

8/10 dark birds are roos
1/2 lavender are roo. Right one has obvious sickle feathers developing
Thank you for confirming. I thought the lav was a roo, but got the pair as a straight run hoping for a roo and hen. Got 10 australorps and was told they were all hens. How often do hatcheries make this mistake? Now, I don't know what to do with all the roos. One is fine - but we got them for eggs. Never heard of a rooster laying one of those, though. That would definitely be a golden one if they do.

Contact the hatchery and add the picture to your complaint.

Paying for vent sexed pullets and getting mostly males is unacceptable and they need to send you ASAP pullets of your chosen breeds that are of the same age as the ones you have.
They bought them from a feed store, not a hatchery
Yes - but the feed store got them from a hatchery. I contacted the feed store. They said they've had other complaints from customers, too. They will be happy to comp a bag of feed or give us 8 more pullets in October. If they aren't auto-sexing, I may just take the feed. We have some decisions to make.

Back
Top Bottom