Pre-egg laying or concerning?

Azlyna

Chirping
Sep 25, 2022
Louisiana
It's been very hot this summer but my pullets (Prairie Bluebell, Sapphire Gem, and Lavender Orpington) are surviving with frozen watermelon rinds and foot baths. They're 19 weeks and the Gem is squatting for me like I'm a rooster, waddles and comb turned full red, and her vent almost doubled in size this week. She's been otherwise normal but this evening she just laying down in a dirt crater instead of investigating every nook and cranny of the yard. She's eating and drinking just not running all over the yard like usual.
IMG_20230806_182018764.jpg

Anyway, is this typical pre-egg behavior or should I be worried?

She may just be having a "it's to darn hot" kind of day.
She looks close to laying and they do get a bit odd before laying.
Thanks for answering. She's developed some *extra* personality lately. Talks when she sees my face and keeps on until I reply and listen. I keep telling her I'll make it cooler if I figure out how to control the weather. She tries to follow me around the yard too which seems odd since I think she's the Boss Lady.

Glad to hear it's probably just too hot. I'll keep with the frozen rinds coming and the foot water. My grandmother's chickens never did this foot bath thing they do but it seems to cool them off. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Back
Top Bottom